asking price for used avalon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
My wife wants a pellet furnace. she wants her floor space back. I purchased the Avalon Astoria new 2 years ago and have had two winters with approx 6 ton of pellets burned. I payed a ridiculous amount for it ( a little over $4000) I was hoping to sell it for exactly what a new pellet furnace would cost. which brings me to my next question does anyone have an suggestions for a pellet furnace?

Thanks

dhungy said:
My wife wants a pellet furnace. she wants her floor space back. I purchased the Avalon Astoria new 2 years ago and have had two winters with approx 6 ton of pellets burned. I payed a ridiculous amount for it ( a little over $4000) I was hoping to sell it for exactly what a new pellet furnace would cost. which brings me to my next question does anyone have an suggestions for a pellet furnace?

Thanks

My suggestion? Install it according to manufacturer's requirements. Good luck getting your price out of the Avalon.

My suggestion? Install it according to manufacturer's requirements. Good luck getting your price out of the Avalon.[/quote]

Install what according to the manufacturers requirements? what price are you referring to? I have yet to set a price as I am asking for advice on a asking price. I am not naive enough to ask for what I payed.

dhungy said:

Thanks

I've not imagined that a Wood stove or Pellet Stove would INCREASE in value over time, (like a Harley Davidson does, for example). Therefore, I don't believe you SHOULD attempt to sell it for what you paid for it.

That said, do an honest appraisal of its condition; the expected life expectancy of any replaceable parts or parts that require some maintenance schedule, based on their last replacement, and go from there.

You may be increasing her floor space where the stove used to reside, but you must plan the space for your new furnace in the netherworld of your house (or wherever your current furnace lives). That will also (presuming you still DO have some sort of OTHER type of furnace in your home, used or not), mean having the current "furnace" removed from your home.

I HAVE of course, seen those wood Furnaces that can be located outside the home. Is THAT what you're thinking? I recall one set up I saw that seemed to be further from the house (and there is Code related to that), than I personally would have liked; especially if the Pellet Furnace was going to heat my water as well.
Couldn't imagine that the water would stay "hot" all the way up the pipe from a tank located any distance from the house (especially in the winter).

You suppose you may be making MORE trips to a Pellet Furnace, to refill it, than to a Wood Furnace?

-Soupy1957

Hello

I would ask $2,000 with all the 4" flue piping. 4" costs more than 3" and is harder to get.

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 299
I would look on Craigslist. Do a general search as people list them in different areas. Also try Searchtempest which is a wider search area for craigslist only. You can put in how far away you want to look. I would put in 200 miles as a start and see what you come up with. Also look on e-bay. Furnaces are usually a good bit more expensive then a stove so plan on another significant outlay to make that kind of change.

soupy1957 said:
dhungy said:

Thanks

You suppose you may be making MORE trips to a Pellet Furnace, to refill it, than to a Wood Furnace?

-Soupy1957

No. A Good Pellet Furnace can run for DAYS without reloading...

dhungy... Where abouts do you reside?? I have a Fahrenheit Endurance I would be inclined to get rid of. I got it for a resonable price. Never Truely installed it yet. Got a Woodstove and I am looking to sell it. If your 200 miles away, that wont work. But I dont know where "Fingerlakes" is?

DexterDay said:
........But I dont know where "Fingerlakes" is?

The fingerlakes region of NY is about an hour south of Rochester, NY, and extends east to the Syracuse area.

Dexterday: You said, "No. A Good Pellet Furnace can run for DAYS without reloading."

Sounds like you like em, based on your report of their long burns. If that's so, then why did you buy a "wood stove?"

-Soupy1957

<a

soupy1957 said:
Dexterday: You said, "No. A Good Pellet Furnace can run for DAYS without reloading."

Sounds like you like em, based on your report of their long burns. If that's so, then why did you buy a "wood stove?"

-Soupy1957

<a

Versatility. And I do not discriminate. One can not be dependant on anything. Selling the Furnace because of the deal I got on the Woodstove. I can get wood for free (Or what you call free. Splitter, 3 Saws, Time, Truck, Trailer, Etc) Got 9 tons of Wood pellets and about 6-6.5 Cord of Wood. I shall be ready when the time comes.

Attachments

• 8 Stacks. Done and seasoning..jpg
    8 Stacks. Done and seasoning..jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Long Stack of Maple 1.jpg
    Long Stack of Maple 1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 291
I'd go with Dons suggestion of about $2K. Not going to find many good quality pellet furnaces new for that price. You'd probably have to go to a home depot/TSC brand and just pray it doesnt need service.

From what I know, a whole house pellet furnace from a dealer who will support the product should run you $4-6K

Status
Not open for further replies.