Aspen 175

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMAC

Aug 3, 2010
Muskoka, Ontario Canada
Hello all, I am new to this forum so will try not to repeat any mistakes I may make! I found this forum by googling "Aspen premature deterioration". A link popped up where this was a point made by another poster on this site who was concerned that this style of stove may be prone to corrosion. That post was in 2008. I have one of these stoves, have used it for two heating seasons now and thought I would do a major cleanout and inspection this past weekend. The fire brick that runs down the middle of the stove is in really poor condition and would not have lasted another season. That is minor actually, I can easeily replaces a few bricks, but while cleaning the creosote, I was chipping scale from the metal part of the firebox a good 1/8" in thickness. At this rate, I'll need a new firebox in just a few short years. Also, the door seals against a 1/4" flat bar on edge. It too is in dire straits with a significant amount of metal simply "gone"!
I have found Greenwood very difficult to get service from, even phone contact is difficult. My original salesman has left the business but I did manage to speak with the area manager today. He is telling me that he has not heard of this problem before, but is willing to sell me some replacement bricks. My reason for posting here then is to see if anyone else is having these issues or am I on my own? Greenwood is now handled by Profab, at least here in Canada so I am not optimistic about warranty work! Nothing against Profab but I did not buy it from them. Any advice, comments etc., would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Gord

Moving to the boiler room. This is an OWB.

I think what you will find.....Greenwood licensed the selling right for the boilers from ProFab, who has always made them. Apparently they didn't sell enough, so Profab canceled their "rights" to sell as Greenwood...and now Profab is selling them directly. The "Pro Series" is the same thing as the Aspen 175. ProFab also has the elite series, which is an indoor gasser.

Sounds like you are up to the North, so not sure what you can do there. But I think "ThisWarmHouse" has taken over much of the Greenwood support for the US...at least the eastern part. They have a website.

I looked at the Aspen 175 a good deal....and I wasn't excited by all the firebrick that seemed to form the complete injection nozzle down into the secondary chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.