Aspen, Drop Now or Later?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coverdome

Sep 22, 2011
North Central Maryland
Got three Big Tooth Aspens that didn't leaf out this year. My question is should I drop and split this year , or can they be left standing dead for a year or so without going all punky? Don't need the wood for a couple of years, and would rather leave 'em up if they'll hold up. Thanks.

i'd leave them up as long as there isn't any chance of coming down during a strong wind. The one we got a couple of months ago ended up bringing a big double gum tree down that had a root ball of about 15 feet and lengths of the tree about 75-100 feet. took a few more with it on the way down.

cass

I would cut right away. Those things will go bad super fast.

Reactions: Nixon and zap
I agree with B.Sav. - aspen will rot pretty fast unless it is cut and split. I like processing Bigtooth Aspen because it usually splits very easily.

the sooner it is c/s/s the sooner it will be ready to burn, and at least this way you will no for sure its going to be good or not

As others have said , get them down as soon as you can . Big tooth Aspen can look perfectly fine ,and snap for no apparent reason . I've got loads on my property and have been dropping the ones that are close to structures . Be very careful of widow makers when you do start to drop them .

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.