asphalt crack sealer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i3bpvh

Jul 24, 2009
MN
does anyone know of a good product for filling the cracks in an asphalt driveway. I used the liquid stuff to fill them this spring and then sealcoated, but it's already shrinking and not filling the cracks. I did clean out all the debrie before filling them. Any ideas for next year?
Thanks

You need to use the stuff that is heated and comes out a hose, like the DOT uses. The guy that sealed your driveway should have offered to do that istead of the DIY stuff you tried to do.

I sealed it myself, it was a DIY job from start to finish. Everything went well, must have just used a crappy product.

I've found the same thing with the liquid- it shrinks. A lot for the first couple hours but still some after that.
and it's really only good for rather small cracks.
I've tried the coil stuff that you heat to melt and that's not too bad but it doesn't look too nice.

The 10 ounce tube stuff that goes in with a caulking gun is easiest and looks nicest but I've had a bad tube.
Horribly expensive.

I had some really old roofing tar that I was going to try but the cans started leaking and they got thrown out. :)

Ah gotcha. Sorry wasn't thinking about that. I had mine done this summer by the contractor that had paved it. Thought about a DIY, but the driveway is around 2500 sq ft and what they charged me wasn't a whole lot more than the cost of the sealer if I bought it.

I'm sure you could have a pro just seal the cracks for you with the the hot melt they use. The guys that did mine said it's the same stuff they use on the highways. It was about $1/ft if I remember correctly.

i3bpvh said:
I sealed it myself, it was a DIY job from start to finish. Everything went well, must have just used a crappy product.

If they are truly 'cracks', the liquid should be fine. If they were more like gaps, then you needed a better product. If you had to clean debris out, they were not cracks.

Believe it or not...the best I 've found to work that has held up for the last two winters and has the least shrinkage is industrial Concrete caulking. I Use the one in the tube with a caulk gun (at Loews) the gravity-feed works in the cracks about 1/16 in and bigger. Smooth it out just like when you caulk a window Once it drys use the driveway sealer(Black) to cover the gray color up. Might take two coats but I really didn't care about that I needed the water from getting under it and heaving in the winter...it worked for me.
md

Status
Not open for further replies.