Assistance for a fireplace/stove dummy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilGalFromWV

Jan 20, 2009
West Virginia
Hello,

My husband and I purchased a home approximately a year ago. We have a "hook-up" for a stove in our living room. There is a pipe surrounded by bricks, which cover 3/4 of the wall (floor to ceiling) and there is a tile insert in the floor (where the stove would stand). The chimney/flue system is located on the outside of our home- there is a large brick column (with access to the inside of the flue/chimney system) which runs up the outside. We are debating whether to buy a stove or try to install a gas fireplace. We are happy to say, we live on the same property as the location of a natural gas well, so we have a $50/mo. gas bill. We have central heating which uses the gas, so we are basically looking for something nice for entertainment purposes. Hope you can guide us in the right direction.

Thanks!

Hey, LilGalFromWV, welcome to hearth.com!

<>My husband and I purchased a home approximately a year ago. We have a "hook-up" for a stove in our living room. There is a pipe surrounded by bricks, which cover 3/4 of the wall (floor to ceiling) and there is a tile insert in the floor (where the stove would stand). The chimney/flue system is located on the outside of our home- there is a large brick column (with access to the inside of the flue/chimney system) which runs up the outside. We are debating whether to buy a stove or try to install a gas fireplace. We are happy to say, we live on the same property as the location of a natural gas well, so we have a $50/mo. gas bill. We have central heating which uses the gas, so we are basically looking for something nice for entertainment purposes. Hope you can guide us in the right direction.<>

IMHO, your best bet would be the gas stove IF you want to use the existing chimney system. There are a number of manufacturers of DV gas stoves which can vent using a masonry adapter - which is what's required in your case - & it's PROBABLY the least expensive path to follow.
There are SOME Gas fireplaces which can vent in this fashion, but not ALL are tested for it. Plus, you'll need a cabinet or a framed wall with a mantel, & maybe some type of stone or tile to complete the look...All of which add to the cost...
HTH & good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.