Assure this inexpensive 3-4 inch Increaser is NOT used in your professional Insert install!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have seen this in too many fireplace installs lately and all were done by experienced professionals. 4" flue liner is highly recommended and is used most of the time now in fireplace installations, however this single wall 3-4" increaser saves the installer alot of time and money but can cause problems. Stoves like a Quad CB1200 and a Breckwell 2000i do not have room for 4" diameter pipe up the back. Therefore the right pipe and adapters should be used to prevent smoke leaking into the house!

The proper set of pipes, stove adapter and flex adapter should be used to prevent smoke leakage
See pics, click to enlarge.

Here is a good example:

Pic 1-5 Quadrafire CB1200i
Pic 1 - Increaser with 4" liner hitting the back of the stove and being pushed apart
Pic 2 - Increaser by itself
Pic 3 - Inside increaser shows how the smoke in the stove can escape between the crimped edge of the flex liner and the increaser. This is not a safe design. RTV can seal it but the pressure will make it fail eventually! See red arrows.
Pic 4 - The proper set of pipes and increaser with flex adapter. The flex adapter does not let smoke up the side.
Pic 5 - Duravent Flex Adapter

Pic 6 - Breckwell P2000i correct pipes and adapters

Attachments

• Increaser1.JPG
    Increaser1.JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 303
  • Increaser2.JPG
    Increaser2.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Increaser3ra.jpg
    Increaser3ra.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 305
  • Increaser4.JPG
    Increaser4.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 277
  • dura-vent-pelletvent-pro-homesaver-flex-liner-to-vent-pipe.jpg
    dura-vent-pelletvent-pro-homesaver-flex-liner-to-vent-pipe.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 294
  • Breckwell200i.JPG
    Breckwell200i.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Reactions: Owen1508
No fireplace here but good to know Don ... pics makes it easier to understand the problem so thanks for taking the time.

No fireplace here but good to know Don ... pics makes it easier to understand the problem so thanks for taking the time.
Thanks Lake Girl :)
This problem could not be seen until the pipes were all apart. When the exhaust blower failed the room filled up with smoke. A new exhaust blower made the stove work ok but that bad increaser was a real danger!
I also added an OAK so smoke would not back out of the air inlet pipe in case of a bad down draft or power outage.
Then I put fire proof Roxul insulation on the damper shelf around both vent pipes to keep the warm air in the room. Now the stove is safe and warm as possible!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
They're going to think that they have a new stove. Well done.

Reactions: Don2222
Status
Not open for further replies.