Asthma / Allergies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

control1

Aug 24, 2008
bucks co pa
My little one had a bout of asthma on Christmas day did not know what caused it I threw out the christmas tree and all the wreaths.
I did have the pellet stove on not sure if the stove can cause any allergies or asthma.Anyone with any experience on this

yardleypa said:
My little one had a bout of asthma on Christmas day did not know what caused it I threw out the christmas tree and all the wreaths.
I did have the pellet stove on not sure if the stove can cause any allergies or asthma.Anyone with any experience on this

Was the Christmas tree and wreaths artificial or real?
Artificial = Dust build up on them could have caused it
Real = Some dealers spray coloring on the trees to make them look more green. I actually had a spray painted tree last Christmas.

If you had your stove running at other times and it did not cause a reaction I would not think that it could have been the issue.

I'd say that generally the only big issue with the pellet stove would be that it dries the air out, big time. WE find that when it gets into single digits and we're blasting our stove the humidity can get down into the teens which is very uncomfortable. To counter this, we run a very large Honeywell humidifier, and we try to keep the humidity in the upper 30's to low 40's.

Adding an outside air kit to our stove also seemed to make a difference as well. (the original install did not include this)

I agree with Mkmh, it's most likely because the air is too dry. We run a couple of vaporizers in the house. One in the room with the stove and one in the bedroom. This seems to work well and the vaporizers are much easier to clean than our humidifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.