Astounded at the price this guy is charging for wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How much do you pay for a cord of wood?

• $200-$300

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I get my wood from Tony Soprano (or this guy in Londonderry, NH)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

theothersully

Dec 18, 2008
NH
I have to share this with the forum.

I have been cutting, splitting and moving all my own wood from 50 miles away this season. Unfortunately, the wood is just a little bit on the green side still, so it's not burning too well. It's enough to keep warm, but the stove requires a lot more attention and of course it's going through wood at nearly twice the rate it normally does.

So...

I put out some feelers for wood to mix in with the stuff I have already cut. I stumbled upon some guy in Londonderry, NH that has a huge internet presence.

I got a quote on 1/4 cord of wood... $452.00!!!!

Yes, that is one QUARTER cord of wood for $452!!! - Or... at little over $1800 per cord!

What are you all paying?

I mean I lived in Jersey City and heated with wood for a while and I was paying far less than this for New York City wood. If I recall correctly, I paid around $200 for a quarter cord and was upset paying that much.

I'm not sure what this guy is smoking...

Do you all pay this kind of money?

Granted this included delivery and stacking, but there was no option for picking it up, or having it dumped at my location from a dumptruck.

If I was his only customer he would starve to death! :cheese: Nope, scrounge, scrounge, scrounge. Of course I had to buy the tractor, trailer, truck, chainsaw, log splitter, gas, bar oil, asprin, etc...

I don't quite cut my own. I usually take trips to the county tree dump and pick up there in the spring. This year I took advantage of the ice storm and am still splitting the spoils.

The cost is pretty much gas for the truck going to get it and bringing it back. It's probably about 3-4 miles there. Some chainsaw work on the larger pieces. Maybe I could cut some of the cost out by using used motor oil as bar oil. :lol:

Matt

You're talking about the Firewood Guy who I believe is also a member here. Great website with good information on it. He is selling "Boutique" wood for the well to do, specialty woods for cooking etc., He'll stack it neatly for you etc. For wood prices for fuel, try Craigslist NH. Should be able to get "seasoned" for around 250-300. I saw green for $150.00 last night. Obviously that doesn't help you now but let's you get a head start on next year. There is an awful lot of downed wood from the recent ice storm. Should be plenty for the asking if you are so bold.

if you are going 50 miles come on down to mass and buy some wood you can save some money

That guy has a website right? Firewood.com or something? His market is to people in condos. He'll even bring it up to your condo and stack it by the fireplace. But I think for the price he ought to stoke the fire for you.

“The best kind of wood to burn is free wood”

When I get poor quality (or damp wood) I mix with dry Oak etc. An old timer told me years ago to mix my wood. At $450/ 1/4 cord I'd burn old phone books first.

At $450 you can install quite a few baseboard heaters as well and not have to worry about.

Seriously, that is a ridiculous price!

I can buy the shrinkwrapped, prebundled stuff from the supermarket for $6 per 0.75 cuft, which is $1000/cord... (and I saw some of it at Home Depot for something like $4.50 per bundle, which is $750/cord)

i get all my wood for free dead and still standing out on the creek bottom(about 5 miles away). But talked to a guy around here the other day that was selling half a cord for $45

I live in a temperate climate, and although my house isn't well insulated, I have a high-efficiency gas furnace. At today's price, it would cost me under $4 a day to heat with gas alone in the winter. It would not be cost effective at all to pay more than the price of gasoline for my chainsaw and truck. I prefer wood heat, but I'd never pay when I can scrounge 2-3 cords over the year and get a little exercise while I'm at it. $450? Is it gold-leafed?

Jay777 said:
I can buy the shrinkwrapped, prebundled stuff from the supermarket for $6 per 0.75 cuft, which is $1000/cord... (and I saw some of it at Home Depot for something like $4.50 per bundle, which is $750/cord)

Yes, but that would require a lot of exercise and would get your Escalade dirty.

Maybe it is organic?

karl said:
You guys do know this stuff grows on trees. Don't you?

How very appropriate. He's a very successful business man. Make your jokes while he laughs all the way to the bank.

sure Kenny - the guy is making money off other's ignornace - $1,800.00 a cord is robbery plain and simple - but if some dumb people want to pay than all the best to the "firewood" guy

nothing and i mean NOTHING makes his wood worth that much

d.n.f. said:
Maybe it is organic?
:lol: That would be my wifes argument. What I say, anything now to be a true organic it cant be grown on this planet. Cheers. N of 60

Stevebass4 said:
sure Kenny - the guy is making money off other's ignornace - $1,800.00 a cord is robbery plain and simple - but if some dumb people want to pay than all the best to the "firewood" guy

nothing and i mean NOTHING makes his wood worth that much

Nope. I disagree. He's selling to very smart people. He sells the very best product with the very best service and that's worth big money to the right people. It's the same with anything.

Every single day, on this very forum, people are complaining about the lack of quality wood they have and about bad dealers, to the point where they have them arrested! Yes, there should be a middle ground but this guy deals with high end customers and I say good for him.

There's a couple guys near me selling eggs out the back door. They both raise them the same way. One guy gets $1.00/dozen and the other guy gets $5.00/dozen. The guy selling at $5.00/ dozen gives the impression his eggs are better and he sells more.
It's the american way. We have the rich and the poor, there's no room for in between anymore.

I actually stumbled on this guy as well while searching for a good wood supply. He has a website with information and is VERY responsive via email, which is better than any other person that I tried to contact. He gives a guarantee that the volume is at least as promised and I suspect that one won't be shorted. Delivery is available to quite a wide range of areas and as I recall stacking is included. Now, once I got the price I was not at all interested. Clearly NOT for the 24/7 burner trying to save money. But as others have pointed out, there IS a market for his services. Think about it this way - do you think that the sort of folks who live in Back Bay part of Boston and shop on Newberry St. go out and scrounge for free firewood to burn once a month in their ornamental fireplace? I wouldn't be surprised if he culls the splits and only delivers nice straight ones of consistent sizes too. I get the impression that this company isn't really in the firewood business, rather it is in the firewood supply SERVICE business.

Anyone that buys firewood and is so uninformed about units of measure for said firewood deserves exactly what they are getting. If you can't tell if wood is wet or dry by picking it up and smacking it together, or pace off a stack and do simple math in your head to determine roughly how much is in said stack, or determining type and quality of said stack, you have no business complaining about getting "ripped off". Get smart about what you are purchasing, quit whining about cords and face-cords. You don't go plunking down 250 to 450 on a piece of equipment like a chainsaw or a laptop computer etc, without doing some research and shopping around, why would it be any different with wood? If you don't do your homework as a consumer, you deserve to lose your money. This guy is my freakin' hero. A fool and his money are soon parted......... :coolsmirk: I actually laugh out loud sometimes reading these "rip off" threads, I've only been on here for a couple of months, and I see lots of folks handing over their hard earned money to these wood guy's who set the price they feel is fair, you don't like it, don't buy it. simple. Bashing someone on the internet because you don't like their price makes you a coward. You need some wood, I'll sell you a unseasoned "face-cord" of scrub alder for 400$. Fair for me because I work 2 jobs, have 2 little boys, and my spare time is precious. Getting firewood is alot of work, and I dedicate 3-4 entire weekends just collecting, and another 3-4 cutting, splitting and stacking. thats 6-8 weekends a year, and thats just for me.

6 to 8 weekends a year! wow how many weekends are there in a year? at this point i don't even know how many days in a week. but i can tell you it was 7 degrees outside when i left for work this morning( a nice toasty 68 in the bedroom) and the local firewood dealer was busy kiln drying his product!!!! what would you pay for a cord of kiln dried maple?

8nrider said:
6 to 8 weekends a year! wow how many weekends are there in a year? at this point i don't even know how many days in a week. but i can tell you it was 7 degrees outside when i left for work this morning( a nice toasty 68 in the bedroom) and the local firewood dealer was busy kiln drying his product!!!! what would you pay for a cord of kiln dried maple?

52 weeks in a year. I wouldn't pay a penny for kiln dried maple. I have a wood shed, and can scrounge my own maple for free. good thing I enjoy the wood collecting process, or some might say it's not worth it.

nor would i . we cut off our property here in marlow n.h. i forward it and buck it, the wife hand splits it. very theraputic she says. i dont think there is a week that goes by she isn't out there pounding on wood. it is pretty much a year round process. which is sweet because we always have seasoned wood. but then again how much would one pay for kiln dried. probably is bug free. that is a good thing when crossing state lines!!

Status
Not open for further replies.