Astroflamm Horizontal Venting Limits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jyobpner

Jan 20, 2011
northern California
Hello...

I am looking to install an older Astroflamm FS stove in our living room but I would need to vent out horizontally though a utility room to reach the outside wall and was wondering if this is a limiting or bad thing to do. I can't go straight out the back so I will need to 90 it up about 5' then 90 it through the wall, utility room and then through the outside wall where I could terminate it there or 90 it again to a vertical finish.

Any thoughts here? I tried to look for similar topics posted but didn't find any. Let me know if there is a thread I could revisit.

Thanks,
Jim

Unfortunately, most stove & pipe manufacturers do not recommend horizontal runs of more that 4', as it hurts the draft, promotes a lot of ash build-up in the horiz pipe, and would be hard to clean to boot.

And besides that, it sounds like your suggested install would have a very high EVL rating, which makes for poor draft.

Just out of curiosity, how long would the horizontal run in the utility room have to be? Just the pipe that you mentioned BEFORE getting to the horizontal part would have an EVL of 12 1/2.

jyobpner said:
I am probably looking at 7' horizontal through the utility room to the outside.

Well, that would give you an EVL of AT LEAST 19.5....which automatically calls for an upgrade to 4" pipe.

But IMO, I would NOT do that install.....I think you will end-up with draft problems, and a nightmare in ash build-up in the horizontal portions.

Status
Not open for further replies.