ASW Huntsman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old School

Burning Hunk
Jul 15, 2015
Georgia
Hello all,

I wanted to take a minute to brag on this stove and see if anyone has any information on it.

Some of you may recall but I got frustrated with my set up mid season last year and wound up changing out stoves. I removed an insert and tried to revive an old Ashley I had inherited. I was not happy with the smoke spillage from the Ashley and came across a deal on this Huntsman and gave it a shot.

I installed it and was able to use it for about 2 solid months of the heating season and I am very impressed and happy with it. I do not think it is a 241 due to it not being a step top though it measures out roughly the same. The firebrick pattern is almost identical to a Fisher Mama Bear and it holds roughly the same amount of wood. It has the 3 air adjustments and with the bottom two closed and top open 1 1/2 turns easily burns 8-10 hrs with an easy reload the next morning. Puts out a ton of heat keeping the finished basement very warm even with stairway open to the main level.

It has an opening roughly 10x10 between the top and bottom chambers with a 6" rear outlet hooked up to a 30' 6" liner. When I cleaned the liner after 2 months of solid use I had less than a cup of buildup.

I made a makeshift baffle closing up about half of the 10x10 opening using firebrick and it did help clean up the smoke coming from the chimney and I plan to tinker with that this year and see if I can improve it any further.

Any additional info on this stove would be appreciated. I have scoured the web and can not find any info on this stove. Tons on the 241 model but nothing on this one.

e8b115312b8028e42fa733da1d52e959.jpg3d7d71e1a6c797c63f9f9e21dd056f42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen a few huntsmen but never that one. What would you like to know specifically though? Do you have anything under those pavers you have as a hearth extension?

I have seen a few huntsmen but never that one. What would you like to know specifically though? Do you have anything under those pavers you have as a hearth extension?

I was curious as to its age and to see if anyone had any experience with them that could give any pointers.

Also thought that since there was such a small amount of information out there that this thread could be a source of information for any others out there that may be curious about this stove.

It is a concrete slab floor. Carpet was removed from underneath. Plans to do more upgrading in the future. Would like to remove hearth and close up fireplace leaving only a thimble and rock floor to ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a concrete slab floor. Carpet was removed from underneath. Plans to do more upgrading in the future. Would like to remove hearth and close up fireplace leaving only a thimble and rock floor to ceiling.
Well then no issue I though it may have been on a wood floor.

As far as age; The Huntsman line was one of their few steel plate designs that copied the Fisher. The Fisher licensee in GA. Carl Baughman was the owner of Fisher Stoves S.E. and quite upset since it was the nearest patent infringer to him. Yours has the newer style spring handle that was plated so it would be 1978 or after, but before (or possibly around)1980. This is when Fisher went to bent corners as well for UL listings without welded corner seams. Much after this time it would have a UL tag and be dated on the back.

Obviously the design was copied as many others from the Jotul 118 and made with steel plate from Bob Fishers idea using welded steel instead of cast iron. (I'm sure the 118 wasn't the first, but is well known for the design)

I can tell you the Atlanta Stove Works in Atlanta closed in 1957 and continued doing business as Birmingham Stove and Range in Alabama. They continued to use the Atlanta trademark even after being bought out by A&B Foundry in 1986. Both the ASW and B S&R as well as the Century trademarks started in 1986 were retained until their bankruptcy in 1993.
Here is a timeline for Atlanta Stove Works (Birmingham Range and Stove); Since they were a foundry for cookware first, you need to search history of cast iron cookware, ranges, lawn furniture......... Lodge ended up making their forgings and finally settled their bankruptcy in 1993 with the deal for The Sportsman Grill patterns which they still produce today. Amazing the small fish fryer that "Piggy" a B S&R salesman in LA got the idea of making into a grill back in the 1930's settled the bankruptcy ! It was a small accessory made during the times of making hundreds of stove and range models.
http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki...aris/A_Timeline_of_Birmingham_Stove_and_Range

Careful how much air you give it above fire, you will start to allow cool air to rush up stack cooling chimney without using the oxygen through fire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.