At least he posted a picture of them

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY

Attachments

• 2 free trees.jpg
    2 free trees.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 512
Oh my! Can't blame the guy for trying. :lol:

I would drop it. 45 degree off the house on both, with a winch line on it wedge in the back cut.

smokinjay said:
I would drop it. 45 degree off the house on both, with a winch line on it wedge in the back cut.

If it were at my house, I would drop them like Jay says. At somebody else's....not me. It ain't worth the possibility of a really bad day.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

If it were at my house, I would drop them like Jay says. At somebody else's....not me. It ain't worth the possibility of a really bad day.

I would do them at someone else's house and not my own! lol I started using a winch line up about 2/3 wow its sweeet and your out of the way when then tree starts to fall, you can drive a needle with it.

i wonder how old that house is. one of two things happened.

1. some dumbass built a house up against some trees
2. some dumbass let some trees grow up against his house

either case is probably not the current owner, but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Jay, if you are ever in my localle get in touch; i have a giant walnut that needs to come down between my house and my neighbors. I'd give you the trunk to mill. this thing would make some 20+ft boards it's so nice and straight.

wonder if I have a picture of it.....

here jay. come and get it, its yours. (i'd want just one nice long board from the thing for memory's sake)

Attachments

• DSCN0325 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0325 (Small).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 442
Danno77 said:

That is funny. I burned some locust this past winter from several 20+ inch diameter trees that were maybe 2 feet off my house. No, I wasn't the dumbass that let them grow there.

SolarAndWood said:
That is funny. I burned some locust this past winter from several 20+ inch diameter trees that were maybe 2 feet off my house. No, I wasn't the dumbass that let them grow there.
And I bet at some point you cursed the person who didn't get out some pruning shears and nip those when they were <2".... A stitch in time......

i wonder how old that house is. one of two things happened.

1. some dumbass built a house up against some trees

That was LOL funny. Almost spit out my Gatorade.

smokinjay said:
I started using a winch line up about 2/3 wow its sweeet and your out of the way when then tree starts to fall, you can drive a needle with it.

The last giant Oak that I was involved with was roped. The pro that did the cutting is an old timer that has sawdust in his blood. He had that thing tensioned to the point that when it started to go, it darn near body slammed that tree to the ground.

Danno77 said:
here jay. come and get it, its yours. (i'd want just one nice long board from the thing for memory's sake)

doesn't look like there is anything behind it I would face cut it 1/3 put a back cut in maybe 20 percent winch it into position drive a wedge cut another 5-10 percent and tip it over in the right direction.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
I started using a winch line up about 2/3 wow its sweeet and your out of the way when then tree starts to fall, you can drive a needle with it.

The last giant Oak that I was involved with was roped. The pro that did the cutting is an old timer that has sawdust in his blood. He had that thing tensioned to the point that when it started to go, it darn near body slammed that tree to the ground.

yep some times with a monster tree, Thats what it takes. The old timer's is where I have learn the most from, and you throw a new twist to it like a winch instead of a truck and spinning tires its you got a great tool.

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

doesn't look like there is anything behind it I would face cut it 1/3 put a back cut in maybe 20 percent winch it into position drive a wedge cut another 5-10 percent and tip it over in the right direction.
behind it is a coy pond, a fenced in area, and a cement dog kennel dealy (looks like it's a foundation from something long ago, but sticks up over the ground for about 2-3 feet, which was supplemented with fencing for dogs).

I think it will come to the driveway as easy as it will to the back. you can see that lean to the right of the picture, it's got a (very) slight lean towards the camera as well.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

behind it is a coy pond, a fenced in area, and a cement dog kennel dealy (looks like it's a foundation from something long ago, but sticks up over the ground for about 2-3 feet, which was supplemented with fencing for dogs).

I think it will come to the driveway as easy as it will to the back. you can see that lean to the right of the picture, it's got a (very) slight lean towards the camera as well.

I am not there so take this with a grain of salt if there is a chance to drop it to the back thats where I would go and deal with the damage there if any! If Not I would climb it and take the top 1/3 out before spliting the two houses...Not that it couldnt be done but dont really want to be the dumb @ss that miss the landing zone.... Oh and I dont like heights!

Part of me just wants to play the waiting game and keep my insurance paid until the thing finally falls on the neighbor's house. I need a bigger yard, so I'd make her an offer on the destruction after insurance paid her off.

(just to avoid flaming, I'll state here that I don't really wish that sort of damage and destruction on my neighbor's house and certainly don't want to put her into harm's way)

who's insurance would pay for that, anyway? it's my tree on my property.

Danno77 said:
Part of me just wants to play the waiting game and keep my insurance paid until the thing finally falls on the neighbor's house. I need a bigger yard, so I'd make her an offer on the destruction after insurance paid her off.

(just to avoid flaming, I'll state here that I don't really wish that sort of damage and destruction on my neighbor's house and certainly don't want to put her into harm's way)

yours

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

yours
That's what i figured. Wonder if the Insurance company would be willing to get this risk reduced by having the tree taken down.....

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

yours
That's what i figured. Wonder if the Insurance company would be willing to get this risk reduced by having the tree taken down.....

I once put in a bid on a tree that was dying and leaning towards the house for insurance the bid was 00.00 and the bid stated that there was nothing that could be done to save the tree and it is a hazard to life and property....Don't know what ever happen in that case.

smokinjay said:

Looking at the two pictures posted on craigslist it looks like power lines may be in the drop area. Also there could be another house 45* off that house. I don't think the pictures are showing the whole story.

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

yours

In NY, it is whoever owns where it falls problem.

rdust said:
smokinjay said:

Looking at the two pictures posted on craigslist it looks like power lines may be in the drop area. Also there could be another house 45* off that house. I don't think the pictures are showing the whole story.

lol they never do...around here most will say the have a big oak tree easy drop...It will wind up being a silver maple 55in.(5-6cords) and house's in all 4 directions.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

yours

That seems a little odd. How can they hold you responsible for something that you have no control over (like a neighbors tree). Not doubting you, but it just doesn't seem right.

Hmmm...makes me wonder if your neighbor forgets to put his car in park and it drives through your living room...who is responsible? :lol:

Jags said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

yours

That seems a little odd. How can they hold you responsible for something that you have no control over (like a neighbors tree). Not doubting you, but it just doesn't seem right.

Hmmm...makes me wonder if your neighbor forgets to put his car in park and it drives through your living room...who is responsible? :lol:

here the neighbors has the right to cut any foliage that touches there property but not the right to cut the tree down.

Jags said:
SolarAndWood said:

A lot of things in NY don't make sense to me either. Like when someone tresspassing on your posted property through their negligence gets hurt or worse and it is your problem. It doesn't seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.