At Lowes yesterday...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2009
saratoga, ny
looking for sealant for my appliance adapter, I did my spring cleaning last weekend, and asked an employee where to find it. He said the silicone is in the paint isle, it will seal up PVC very well. I said it is for a PELLET STOVE exhaust metal flue. The look i got was like i had three heads. He told me a friend had a stove and uses PVC for the exhaust. I had no comment to this, i was dumbfounded. So i just kept wandering and did find the sealant. Is there a stove out there that this is safe or is this guy as nuts as I think he is?

PVC is NOT rated for pellet stove exhaust!

I have seen some super efficient gas furnaces using PVC for the exhaust.

My Trane XV 90 uses PVC for the intake and the exhaust. But I wouldnt use PVC for my OAK on my pellet stove and definitely not my Flue venting.

BTW. Any High heat silicone thats rated for 500* is good.

Most of the people I talk to at HD have no clue about anything thats Pellet stove or Wood stove related. I try to avoid any "help" from there Pros. I am a pretty handy DIY'er and can pretty much get it done myself. I think that kid had no idea what he was talking about.

Or maybe I have not seen the All new, Silver anniversary, Limited Edition, Special Order, Super Secret Pellet stove, that has a 1,000% efficiency rating. Its possible.... I dont get out much. LOL.....

j-takeman said:
Dex, You OK?? :roll:

Yep. Still waiting on my Muti Fuel. With the new addition this year (Mikayla is now 4 months old) along with the purchase of the Fahrenhiet (still hsve it in the garage. Just sitting there), the 25-PDV, and the Englander 30-NC. Mama said no more and put the Ki-Bash to it. Next Summer though. Gonna sell the Fahrenheit this Winter and that will pay for my new stove next year. The woodstove in the basement is definitely gonna make my 9 ton last much longer than the 2 yrs it would have taken me to burn them.

But overall. I am good. At my Sons football practice right now and I am bored. So here I am on my phone (on Hearth.com) . This nes phone (Droid Bionic) is 100 times faster than my old Blackberry. Im on herd ALL the time now. So even ehen I do get out (other than going to work everyday) I can still get my Hearth Fix!!!! ;-)

I'd be all over that Fahrenheit if you were closer and I didn't love the Omega so much! Enjoy the little one, She'll be asking to go on dates before you know it!! :lol:

Sure PVC works for a pellet vent. For a little while. This was on a corn stove of all things.

Attachments

• scary corn vent chimney.jpg
    scary corn vent chimney.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,440
j-takeman said:
I'd be all over that Fahrenheit if you were closer and I didn't love the Omega so much! Enjoy the little one, She'll be asking to go on dates before you know it!! :lol:

My son turns 10 this Thurs (22nd). Wont be long before he is dating. But baby girl is not allowed to date until I am 75 or Dead. Whichever comes 1st. Boys are so much easier. My buddy has a 14 yr old daughter. Ugh... Is all I have to say.

Love both of them to death. But pretty sure, baby girl will be the one thats turns my hair Grey. LOL.....

BrotherBart said:
Sure PVC works for a pellet vent. For a little while. This was on a corn stove of all things.

I was trying like he!! to find that pic.
couldn't remember if that was on here or IBC.

DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:

Yep. Still waiting on my Muti Fuel. With the new addition this year (Mikayla is now 4 months old) along with the purchase of the Fahrenhiet (still hsve it in the garage. Just sitting there), the 25-PDV, and the Englander 30-NC. Mama said no more and put the Ki-Bash to it. Next Summer though. Gonna sell the Fahrenheit this Winter and that will pay for my new stove next year. The woodstove in the basement is definitely gonna make my 9 ton last much longer than the 2 yrs it would have taken me to burn them.

But overall. I am good. At my Sons football practice right now and I am bored. So here I am on my phone (on Hearth.com) . This nes phone (Droid Bionic) is 100 times faster than my old Blackberry. Im on herd ALL the time now. So even ehen I do get out (other than going to work everyday) I can still get my Hearth Fix!!!! ;-)

Bionic huh? Do u like it? I'm going to probably upgrade to that in a few weeks. I currently have an original Motorola Droid.

mepellet said:
DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:

Bionic huh? Do u like it? I'm going to probably upgrade to that in a few weeks. I currently have an original Motorola Droid.
Love it. The 4G LTE is ridiculous. Its the fastest phone I have seen. A soon as you hit the button. The web page is up. Easy to use and a super large screen. Comes w/ 16 G external memory card. Pricey. But worth it.

smoke show said:
BrotherBart said:

I was trying like he!! to find that pic.
couldn't remember if that was on here or IBC.

I took it off of a building inspector website a few years ago.

looks like i'll have to spend the extra money for the water jacketed pvc.

Status
Not open for further replies.