at what diameter do you stop splitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishboat

Dec 2, 2006
Wisconsin
noob question..When do you stop splitting wood and just let it dry intact? Six inches? Or split anything you can?

Personally, I split down to 4", it drys quicker, and loads easier in my small Interepid II wood stove, it's also easier to rekindle
when reloading.

Rick said:
I go to about 4 to 6 inches.
I agree with rick though I keep some stuff even a bit bigger than that, primarily reallly gnarly stuff for those long burns on really cold nights. Variety is good.

This is the first year i split a little on the big side 6 to 8 inches and i am
getting complaints from the wife that there to heavy. :red:

Been splitting for a couple years seems that down to 4-6 inches works best. I'll keep the smaller splits separate for kindling and re-starting too.

I stop splitting at about 2 inches. Problem is that wood takes for ever to dry if not split. I've taken to making brush piles, and after a couple years I take the crappy stuff and burn it when it's easy to break across my knee. They burn o.k. and still make heat. you just have to feed the stove every 10 minutes.

I'm going to give two answers - 4 to 6" if splitting with the 6.6lb maul, 3 to 4" if using the parents' hydraulic splitter. With rounds, I usually try to quarter them just so it drys faster, and stacks better

I think that would depend on what your stove likes. Last year I split down to 3". For this year, 5". Drying and rotting isn't much of a problem here in sunny NM... I'm still cutting standing dead trees left from the '98-99 drought season... a few are rotting but most are not.

It also depends on the log. If it's knotty and requires wedges and swearing, I'll accept a larger final piece.

Right now I'm splitting wood that I won't need for 1-3 years. Since it will have more time to dry, I'm figuring I can get by with larger pieces -- what do you think?

Lots of variables. I usually split about half and half, some 2-3" splits and some 4-6" splits. That gives me a steady selection for starting and smaller fires and some for longer burns.

But it also depends on:
the stove - what size?
the wood - what species? ash, cherry, fir will be dry faster than oak, madrona
how green or damp is the wood?
how quickly do I need it to dry? smaller splits dry out faster.

For me the big determining factor is how long it's going to dry. I'm pretty far ahead on my wood supply now, so the wood I'm processing probably isn't going to be burned for 3 or 4 years. I have no incentive to split wood that is smaller than I can easily handle, since it will dry out pretty well before I get around to burning it. Variety is nice, but I have lots of limb wood to fill in the small end.

If you want the wood to dry out as quickly as possible, as Warren said, then split everything at least once.

WarmGuy said:
It also depends on the log. If it's knotty and requires wedges and swearing, I'll accept a larger final piece.

Right now I'm splitting wood that I won't need for 1-3 years. Since it will have more time to dry, I'm figuring I can get by with larger pieces -- what do you think?

That's my thought - if it's easy, I may split it down pretty far - like 2x3 or 3x3. If it's a PITA, I just go far enough to get it in the stove. Usually, that gives a decent mix, but it is always nice to have large, square chunks on hand for overnight burns and a good assortment of thin stuff for fast, hot fires.

It is really hard to have a set in stone rule especially since I split by hand. It really depends upon the wood straight grain vs twisted or species. I have a variety from twigs up to 9 inches in diameter. About the maximum size diameter piece a F400 can hold width wise on a bed of coals. However if I believe I can split the piece with minimal effort 6" is my typical cut off point.

6" to 10". If its standing dead elm, ash, or locust I will keep it whole. If its green, I will split 6 and up. I like my rounds for nighttime.

I start off splitting thin slices, then as I get more tired, or bored the pieces get bigger. It seems to give me a varied lot. They range from about 6" to 3. Sometimes when I get short fat pieces that will be odds no matter what I do, they will be just small enough to fit in the stove door. Those are nice for long burns.

Matt

I try to keep the pieces about the size of a loaf of bread. That is a size that everybody can visualize. Some of the splits are smaller for the daytime, or when building a fresh fire, and a few pieces that will just fit in the stove without heavy manipulation with the pokers for an overnight burn. And yes the old lady complains too if they are too big. Complains that she is feeding it too often, or complains that it is too heavy, but never complains that she is cold...imagine that.

I'm with EJ, I don't care for small splits. They burn faster and its more work.
I try and keep an equal ratio though. I like big splits for overnighters. 2 large taking up the bottom of the insert then 3 mediums on top.
I been splitting recent ones hmm 8" maybe 10". used mediums in 3's during less cold days during the day. Pack her full with large as I can at night. Good 12 or so hrs of decent heat output that way. This year has vastly improved from last year. Between the wood & the operator being more seasoned. ;)

I always split mall. never at a loss for big piees

Status
Not open for further replies.