At what outside temperture do you fire up your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

citizanken

Oct 19, 2006
Smithsburg, Maryland
The weather here in Maryland has been unseasonably warm for this time of year. I just had a new woodstove installed, and like a kid at christmas, have been burning when outside temps were in the mid 50's for highs, and low 40's for lows. I was wondering if others wait until the real winter comes, or like me, do most of you like to burn just to keep the heater from kicking on? I am rather new to this and dont want my neighbors thinking I am a lunatic any more than they already do.

We have been running since October, because there ain't no other heater.

Good question -
We just moved from Maryland to NH. Are you in Western MD?
I'm ready for the stove to be on when the temp is in the 40s during the day. Having said that, that's what it is this week and I've weenied out and been using the (gasp) furnace because I'm busy painting and just don't want to do the wood stove shuffle at the same time. I'll bet lots of other ppl fire theirs up sooner than the mid 40s though.

I've been burning since the end of September. If we are cold, we will start a fire to warm up. Our furnace ran once this year to test it and thats it.

citizanken said:
KarynAnne said:
Are you in Western MD?

Yes, but not like Oakland or anything. Just outside of Hagerstown in Washington County.

We were right outside of Chestertown on the Chesapeake Bay. We don't miss MD much. Just the Canada Geese this time of year.

If the temp is going into the 40s at night I'm starting a fire. The last few years I've had enough wood to carry me from November to April going 24/7. So, I'm less inclined to worry about temp then I used to be. I think after this warm weather is over I believe it will be 24/7 from here on .

Mine's fired now in Elkton Md it's in the 40's

Wish i could burn but no one home during the day. HATE WHEN THAT FURNACE KICKS IN!!!!!!!!!

Outside temp doesn't matter much to me in terms of firing up the stove...

If I'm inside, I don't care what the temp is outside cause it's out there and I'm in here....

If I'm outside, firing up the stove isn't going to make me warmer....

If I'm inside, and it gets much below 68 inside or so, I fire the thing up. If it gets into the upper 70's inside, I let it burn down, or at least take it easy on the wood.

Gooserider

Today was a very gray rainy day in the 50s here in MA. I kept my stove burning on its lowest setting. When it's sunny out I get some heat from sun through the windows but on gray days it's nice to have a small fire both for the physical and the psychological warmth.

If the boiler will kick on.........the stove's burnin'.........I refuse to pay the man......

Whenever the house needs it..Started in September off and on we have had a bunch of weeks where it was 24/7 but others where we let the fire die down during day..last spring we had fires in June...all depends on the weather and comfort level of the house..

citizanken said:
The weather here in Maryland has been unseasonably warm for this time of year. I just had a new woodstove installed, and like a kid at christmas, have been burning when outside temps were in the mid 50's for highs, and low 40's for lows. I was wondering if others wait until the real winter comes, or like me, do most of you like to burn just to keep the heater from kicking on? I am rather new to this and dont want my neighbors thinking I am a lunatic any more than they already do.

I tend to fire it up when the temps dip into the 40s. 50 or higher, I usually don't bother.
It's funny...some people at work were talking about saving money on heating due to the mild weather. I figure it cost me more (for fuel oil) when the temps are up because there are evenings when I just let the furnace do it's thing. When it's cold out (40s or lower), my furnace never comes on (when I'm home anyway).
Yea...I wish it were colder here now.

JMF1 said:
If the boiler will kick on.........the stove's burnin'.........I refuse to pay the man......

BINGO

I must be the biggest weiner here, I hate the cold so there were nights over the summer when the gas stove was on. I do believe it is a personal preference, I love it to be 70-75 all the time, my house is well insulated so it doesn't take much but it is up to you on how cold you can take.

I agree, if your cold crank her up! I know that it has been a mild winter so far..Real mild! Just not burning as much wood..which is good..But I figure that if the furnace is running I am basically emptying my packets, heating with wood costs me nothing.

I dont go so much by the outside temp. If it is cool insde and no forecast for warm weather, i'll fire up the stove. But, if it is a bit cool inside with a forecast for a warmer day, I may tough it out. Roughly, if we get days up to 70F (and the leaves are off the trees surrounding the house) I get enough thermal gain to make it through the night with no fire. 60's and 50's require a little fire in the evening. Highs in the 40's and 30's usually mean a fire as soon as i get home. Teens and lower mean pretty hard burning.

Corey

Usually below about 45 degrees. Above that we used to let the pellet stove carry it. Now the heatpump does.

I fire the wood boiler up right about when the gas boiler would start kicking in in the fall, and I let it go out the following spring.

is this an outdoor wood boiler?

No, it's an indoor boiler (Royall 6150) that I have set up in my barn, in an insulated cinderblock room.

I light a fire if the house is under 70F and my wife will be home in an hour, or the house reaches 61F or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.