Athens Wood Pellets intial review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dbjc364 said:
gbeane- if there is a way to add an extension hopper on your stove I highly recommend it.
I no longer have any problems with the stove going out during the day - I only had that happen with the bad Athens pellets a few years ago. I've burned many tons of Corinth pellets and one ton of Strong pellets without this problem. I've also tried the current Athens pellets this year without this problem. I did not burn any Athens pellets last year, but they seem much improved over a couple years ago. The pellets are longer than 1/4 to 1/2 inch, and they slide down the sides of the hopper better so the stove did not go out while I am at work. The color seems more normal too. Based on this, I just went out and got a ton of the Athens since they were so cheap. I've mostly been burning Corinth.

kevinwburke said:
I have burned a few bags of Maine's Choice...seem to be pretty good...anyone have any experience with these?

No I burned inferno from Big Y which were ok and American Wood Fibers (both had some ash) and AWF are darker. I'm burning Surefire now which I like and they are light and the fire is hot. Seems to be the same amount of ash.

tumbles said:
Boy oh boy you guys are bumming me out. I have one ton of the Athens pellets and I plan on mixing them with a better brand of pellets (Energex or Hamer). I hope this works. I'm new to burning pellets but I didn't realize the type of pellets varied so wildly. I'm from Maine and wanted to support a Maine business, but they better get their sh## together or they won't be in business much longer. I'm going to try them but I won't ruin a new stove with crappy pellets. Maybe if enough people return them they'll get the message. On the positive side, oil is dropping like a stone.

On the Darker side oil is rising like an Iranian made missle

Setterpete said:
Here is my latest experience that I posted on another thread.

I�ve been trading in bags of Athens pellets that I purchased in August for newly produced bags for the past month and a half. I noticed a good difference about a month ago and even better difference last week. I have it on good authority that Athens has worked out their problems and are actually spraying the pellets as they are produced, with steam. The steam gives the pellets better integrity and a nice shine. I noticed a huge difference in the lesser amount of �fines� and the length of the pellets are slightly longer. I�ve burned six or eight bags and love them. I, like many on these boards, told myself I�d never buy Athens pellets again because of their quality. After using the latest version from them I don�t have any reason to buy anything else. Dysart�s had 70 tons on Monday and said they were going to build inventory to around 200 tons. The price is still $249 per ton. My guess is that the price per ton will drop by February. The drop in oil cost has to have an affect.

we sell them for 215 picked up. 249 sounds high when most places are at 200 +/- 20 bucks on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.