1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Athens Wood Pellets intial review

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Fire It Up, Oct 8, 2008.

1. kevinwburke

kevinwburke New Member

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I have burned a few bags of Maine's Choice...seem to be pretty good...anyone have any experience with these?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gbeane

gbeane Member

Loc:
    Brewer, ME
    I no longer have any problems with the stove going out during the day - I only had that happen with the bad Athens pellets a few years ago. I've burned many tons of Corinth pellets and one ton of Strong pellets without this problem. I've also tried the current Athens pellets this year without this problem. I did not burn any Athens pellets last year, but they seem much improved over a couple years ago. The pellets are longer than 1/4 to 1/2 inch, and they slide down the sides of the hopper better so the stove did not go out while I am at work. The color seems more normal too. Based on this, I just went out and got a ton of the Athens since they were so cheap. I've mostly been burning Corinth.
  3. splash

splash Member

Loc:
    western ma
    No I burned inferno from Big Y which were ok and American Wood Fibers (both had some ash) and AWF are darker. I'm burning Surefire now which I like and they are light and the fire is hot. Seems to be the same amount of ash.
  4. canibuyavowel

canibuyavowel New Member

Loc:
    maine
    On the Darker side oil is rising like an Iranian made missle
  5. summit

summit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine
    we sell them for 215 picked up. 249 sounds high when most places are at 200 +/- 20 bucks on these.
  6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME