Athens Wood Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j00fek

Feeling the Heat
Jun 9, 2008
Auburn, Maine
looking at the athens pellets today, 279.99/ton Petro's Ace Hardware in auburn

i was told that they are a 80hw/20sw mix. has anyone burnt these pellets (not to sure because the plant is so new). ju8st wondering if they are up to snuff....

Softwood pellets burn hotter than hardwood pellets. Bag for bag I like Corinth wood pellets because they give more heat because they are all softwood.

New people to pellet burning think hardwood pellets are better but after you try softwood pellets you wil change your mind.

That said I have never heard anything bad about Athens pellets yet, but they are new.

I am a dealer for maine woods pellets and have also burned them in our showroom stove and have no problems with them. I have burned pellets for 4 years and from what i can see is that there is no problem with them

they looked good from the sample bag i went through, but i just need to make sure i dont get a pennington type junk, but i have faith

looks like ill pull the trigger on 2 more tons, then ill be set

thnx

What'd you get those 5 ton for, if you don't mind me asking? I am in auburn and am looking at around 280(like another poster) with no delivery. Hoping to get 3 tons here soon

i got my first 2 tons from lowes before the big rush to get pellets in auburn, im not waiting till sept for green team, i just want to be done with it

chris2006 said:
What'd you get those 5 ton for, if you don't mind me asking? I am in auburn and am looking at around 280(like another poster) with no delivery. Hoping to get 3 tons here soon

$284/ton delivered. They came on a pallet, shrinkwrap and with a poly cover, so I can store outside if need be.
I spent an hour moving 2 tons into the basement. Had to stop due to the heat. I will probably move another ton tonight.

Just bought 4 ton and am nervous from the bag I opened up. The pellets are very short and seem to break easily. Have not burned any yet obviously but should I be concerned and what happens if come winter I find they are junk? I wonder if they are pumping them out too fast to keep quality up??

pellet0708 said:
Just bought 4 ton and am nervous from the bag I opened up. The pellets are very short and seem to break easily. Have not burned any yet obviously but should I be concerned and what happens if come winter I find they are junk? I wonder if they are pumping them out too fast to keep quality up??
i guess SIZE DOES MATTER!
they may be short, but they seem to be fairly consistent in size. thats what you should be looking for imho. it makes the stove feed a lot more smoothly when you set the feed rate if they are about the same sixe.

New company, never went through a winter, buy by the ton is chancey. I am going to try some bags this winter.

I am a dealer for maine woods pellet and have had a chance to burn about 3 bags in my pellet stove in the showroom and have no problem with them they actually burn really well. Where did you buy the ton from???

Got them at Knights Farm Supply. (239/ ton) Figured I better get them while they were available. Corinth had such a good rep. around here but have gotten pricey.

Glad to hear you've burned some and like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.