Atlanta Stove Works Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale A.

Apr 17, 2007
I saved an old cast iron stove from the attic of my grandmother's huge antebellum home many years ago and it has been sitting in my living room since then serving as a TV table. Just recently I started trying to find out as much as I could and am even considering installing it in my home. It was made by Atlanta Stove Works. It stands about 20 inches tall and the top, which is flat, is 17 by 19 inches. I have heard this stove called a laundry stove as I have been looking over the net. Also I have heard it discribed as a pot bellied laundry stove. The bottom half is similar to a potbellied stove but at the middle it flares out to its flat top. On the rear left corner it has No. 88 and on the right rear corner is the word Rose. Anyway, if any of you know anything about-his stove I would like to learn more about it.

Dale this was one of many companies that welded stoves together in the 70 ' 80's. The one I remember best was the Alantic huntsman.
Wnen fuel proces dropped and the EPA stepped in almost all companies like this went out of business. They did not have the resourses to engineer a EPA compliant stove and the market
bittom fell out. What you have is an old poluting smoke dragon of yesteryears very ineffecient. Yes it will produce heat. But condsidering I was able to buy a modern EPA approved Century and winter clearance at Home Depot for $288 it makes little sense going threw all the sffort burning in a stove of unknow condition the polutes 500 times more than modern EPA stoves.

Without a thesting lab lable and UL listing, most building Inspections depts will not issue a permit to install that stove. Many states also require the stove to be EPA approved, meaning manufactured after 1990. ME I would have a lot of second thought riskiing my home and familly's life on an unknown, where I do not know its condition or even how to opperate it correctly.

Welcome to the hearth Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear but an honest oppinion

Thanks, elkimmeg, for the information. I do appreciate honesty and I had a pretty good idea that installing it wouldn't work so you just made my mind up for me. I do want to start heating with wood next winter but quite frankly I do not have a lot of money, a $500.00 stove would be about the max for me and even then I would have to save for a while. I have seen box stoves that cost as little as $130 but they are not very attractive and you have no way of viewing the fire. Another factor for me is that I live in a mobile home and my understanding is that you can't put just any stove in a mobile home they have to be approved for that use. If any of you more experienced woodburners have any ideas that might help me in my desire to burn wood I would appreciate it.

A fairly reasonable answer for you would be something like the Englander 13-NCP. It can be had in many locations for around six hundred dollars and is mobile home approved.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/13-ncp.html

Atlanta also had a foundry - and they were well known for cast stoves and circulators well before they got into the steel welded stuff. They probably cast in Atlanta and perhaps other southern foundries, but near the end may have went overseas.

A laundry stove is just that - mostly designed to burn coal and have a big tub of water on top heating up for baths and laundry.

In this day and age, such a stove is much better for decoration - flower pot on top, etc. - It does not have the safety features of newer models.

Yes the Atlanta stove was made in the eighteen hundreds and is a very ornate little cast iron stove. It is in excellant condition but I guess that I will just continue to use it for decoration. I wonder if any of you might have some idea what this stove is worth, not that I am looking to sell it, I am just curious. I was just reading a book called The Woodburning Stove Book and it had some photographs of some Atlanta Stove Works stoves. Apparently it was a good sized well known company that was in business for a long time and I think it was sold to The Birmingham Stove Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.