Atlas Fit gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I bought a pair of these over a year ago and really like them, but nothing lasts forever. The coating on them helps me with my ever weakening grip and hands don't get too warm in above freezing temps. Getting ready to buy some new gloves but wanted to ask if anybody that has used these gloves tried & liked something else even more?

One thing I did learn is not all nitrile coatings are the same. Picked up a pair of similar looking gloves at TSC and the coating is very slick, no help with the grip at all.

Love the Atlas Fit gloves. For the price, though, the similar dipped gloves at Harbor Freight are pretty good. I wear similar gloves at work every day, throwing cardboard cases that weigh 5-50 lbs. Cardboard is really hard on gloves, and the company supplies us with pretty crappy gloves. I brought my own pair of Atlas gloves one day, and ended up wearing them for three weeks, or three times as long as the others. The HF gloves I wore for a week, about the same as the ones the company buys, but at $1.79, they were about 1/3 of the price.

It will be time for Frosty Grips soon.

The frosty grips are my favorite winter chore glove.

The standard Atlas Fit glove is a natural rubber coating not nitrile (synthetic rubber).Natural rubber has a different grip and superior cut resistance to nitrile. If you think you might like the grip of natural rubber without the bulk of the traditional polycotton liner of the Atlas Fit, you might want to try our Atlas Opti-Grip 340. It seems to be very popular with most people who try it out. I still use the Hi Vis version (317) of the Atlas Fit when I handle or split wood. One pair usually lasts me several months.

I have had good luck with KINKO Acrylic-Lined Latex-coated Gloves. Great for cold weather jobs. Nice and warm and great grip on the saw or splitting maul.

I bought a pair of these over a year ago and really like them, but nothing lasts forever. The coating on them helps me with my ever weakening grip and hands don't get too warm in above freezing temps. Getting ready to buy some new gloves but wanted to ask if anybody that has used these gloves tried & liked something else even more?

One thing I did learn is not all nitrile coatings are the same. Picked up a pair of similar looking gloves at TSC and the coating is very slick, no help with the grip at all.

They are all I've worn for over 10 years. At the intersection of price, utility, and durability they can't be beat.

I have used the Atlas Fit plenty, but unlike you I actually can't stand how grippy they are for splitting.
I use cheap orange medium duty nitrile dipped gloves with less texture on the grips. Buy from whatever big box I happen to be in a multi-pack. They last very well. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...1&keyword=nitrile+dipped+gloves&storeId=10051

Beware cheap knock-off of Atlas Fits, the rubber can peel right off.

I have used the Atlas Fit plenty, but unlike you I actually can't stand how grippy they are for splitting.
I use cheap orange medium duty nitrile dipped gloves with less texture on the grips. Buy from whatever big box I happen to be in a multi-pack. They last very well. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202563081/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=nitrile dipped gloves&storeId=10051

Beware cheap knock-off of Atlas Fits, the rubber can peel right off.
If I was manually splitting these days I would have to agree with you, but I'm spoiled with hydraulics :)
Going to order some more Fit models along with some others recommended...wife's gonna think I have a glove thing like she has a shoe thing going on!

I would agree if I was using a heavier maul, but I grip the Fiskars with my hands together since it is so light. Doesn't make a difference to me what gloves I'm wearing. But then, I use an hydraulic splitter 95% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.