ATMOS Combined wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrCRXHF

Burning Hunk
Apr 28, 2008
Mid, Michigan
Has anyone seen one of these boilers run. I have a new 250,000 btu NG boiler that is doing good but in the next year or so i would like to add a wood boiler to work with the Ng.

I have been going back and forth between wood or pellet. This seems to fix the problem.
kombinovane-kotle-01.gif

http://www.atmos.cz/english/kotle-003-kombi-kotle-na-drevo-palety-eto-zemni-plyn

I have not seen one this set-up before...I know ATMOS has a really good name overseas but its hard to find pricing on the net. My first thought is that you already put in a new NG furnace so while burning gas, your not going to get any more efficiency than this furnace. I really like the thoughts of pellets for being really easy but they are really tied into the fossil fuel prices as it takes allot of energy to make them and you then have to truck them to the store. As the heating prices go back up in the future more people will be putting in pellet stoves again and you know where that leads to in pricing. The biggest decision to make is do you want the additional hassle of stick wood...I enjoy the work while saving allot of money but it does have trade-offs.

My original thought was that i would run my NG when i was not home. I would fire up the boiler when i was home just to cut down on the gas cost. The boiler is a new triangle tube. I love the thing but hate the gas bill i have a large home from 1962 i am putting in infloor heat now in the basement which i hope will cut down on the gas bill. All the walls down stairs are 8" line block with brick on the out side. It is a sunken basement so some of it is above ground. All the walls in the basement have 2" of foam over the block wall. The down side is i don't have all the windows replaced yet just the big ones so far i am picking away at updating the house.

I have 2 fire places that are more or less just for looks i thought about putting a good insert in them but i think it would be more work to run both of those then it would be to just feed one boiler.

I really like wood heat and i don't mind the work i think it is nice to get out the chain saw every so often and i hall the wood with my kubota.

The combined boiler just looked nice because then i can have it run pellets when i am at work and wood when i get home but i am sure they are going to want a lot of money for that option.

JrCRXHF said:
My original thought was that i would run my NG when i was not home. I would fire up the boiler when i was home just to cut down on the gas cost. The boiler is a new triangle tube. I love the thing but hate the gas bill i have a large home from 1962 i am putting in infloor heat now in the basement which i hope will cut down on the gas bill.

Sounds like you could utilize a regular gasifier and some storage. Figure out how much heat you really need and size storage to that and then you could fire it when your home and run off the storage until you get time to build another fire. No gas bill at all then.

yeah i agreed i worked on some of the numbers. i think i need around 1000-1200 gallons. It comes back to cost i think it will cost me around 10-12k to do the whole project so i am going to have to save my pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.