Attaching adjustable pipe venting...question...???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
As you can see I have a adjustable pipe section installed and I'm wondering do you secure the sleeve that slides up and down with some short self-tapping screws into those small slots...or do you leave it as is...??? This pipe section worked out well for me...it lets you turn your stove into position when the pipe is all installed...since the adjustable sleeve turns or spins freely. Anyways I finally have it all installed..took me a couple of days..had to chip out my chimney for the thimble and get some special drills and hardware...I will fire up the Thelin tomorrow..or maybe tonite...I'm letting the silicone dry and set-up..I'm buring MWP..Maine Wood Pellets...the pellet plant is about 2 hours from here..got 3 ton for $220.00 a ton...down the road in Medway Maine...hope I have enough...this being my first pellet stove..NO MORE WOOD...my body take take it!!!!

Attachments

• 1p.jpg
    1p.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 329
throw in a few self tapping screws and if there is no silicone gasket pre-installed in the pipe section, seal it with some RTV and you should be good. Nice finger.

I sealed my adjustable pipe with furnace tape, and then sprayed it with satin Hi-Heat black spray paint. Makes taking it apart easy.

The tape sounds like a good idea..makes me wondering if I could poke some small rope gasket material up under the sliding pipe to seal the end and then wrap the whole pipe end with some furnace tape...??..also when the pipe slides... it take the black paint off of the pipe...I also took the factory label off and all of the paint came off with the label....

bigruckus said:
The tape sounds like a good idea..makes me wondering if I could poke some small rope gasket material up under the sliding pipe to seal the end and then wrap the whole pipe end with some furnace tape...??..also when the pipe slides... it take the black paint off of the pipe...I also took the factory label off and all of the paint came off with the label....

I think the rope gasket is overkill.....

As for the paint, not much you can do about that......just re-spray.

It wont fit anyways...just the tape will do..or just the slicone

bigruckus said:
As you can see I have a adjustable pipe section installed and I'm wondering do you secure the sleeve that slides up and down with some short self-tapping screws into those small slots...or do you leave it as is...??? This pipe section worked out well for me...it lets you turn your stove into position when the pipe is all installed...since the adjustable sleeve turns or spins freely. Anyways I finally have it all installed..took me a couple of days..had to chip out my chimney for the thimble and get some special drills and hardware...I will fire up the Thelin tomorrow..or maybe tonite...I'm letting the silicone dry and set-up..I'm buring MWP..Maine Wood Pellets...the pellet plant is about 2 hours from here..got 3 ton for $220.00 a ton...down the road in Medway Maine...hope I have enough...this being my first pellet stove..NO MORE WOOD...my body take take it!!!!

By looking at the picture your pipe should be the other way around the top pipe should be ont the bottom and visa versa. At least on a wood stove because of the dripping that will occur
during burning and the creasote coming down from the pipe. As far as securing the pipes I would just use 3 short sheet metal screws. Remember the smoke would rather take the super
highway instead of the small dusty road (ie the gaps).

Later.

Chopernator said:
By looking at the picture your pipe should be the other way around the top pipe should be ont the bottom and visa versa. At least on a wood stove because of the dripping that will occur
during burning and the creasote coming down from the pipe. As far as securing the pipes I would just use 3 short sheet metal screws.....
The pipe is correct as is....this is not a wood stove, and there is no creosote.

The pipe just needs the screws, and either silicone seal or furnace tape, and it's good to go.

i had to use an adjustable pipe and i could believe how loose the adjustable end was. i probably pumped 1/3 of a tube of silicone into it and it still leaks smoke pretty good on start up. im going to go over it again with foil tape and see if that fixes it. i dont like that section of pipe at all but have no choice unless i tear apart 13' of vertical run and replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.