attaching chimney roof bracing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fakie99

Dec 29, 2007
northern michigan
hello everyone,

i will be installing a chimney for our stove and have a question about bracing. the chimney will extend about 10' above the roof and so i'll need bracing. is it acceptable to screw the braces right thru the shingles where the braces meet the roof? would you then seal the screws w/silicone? also, the roof pitch is 10/12 so it is rather hazardous to work on. has anyone attached 2x4s to the roof as "toe-holds" to make working on a steep roof easier? what is the attachment procedure for this?

thanks for the help - great and helpful site by the way!

jim

Yes screw the brackets down right through the roofing, I coated the bottom of each bracket with roof seal then covered the screw heads as well. I have an 8:12 pitch with 16' walls and its metal. I tie a rope to the top rung of an extention ladder, throw it over the peak and over the other side then hoist it up on the roof so its laying flat then tie off the rope to something solid and walk on that

I don't know much about stoves and chimneys but do know a thing or two about construction/carpentry.

I would avoid nailing 2x4's to the roof if possible. My roof is also a 10/12 pitch and therefore a stinker to be on. nshif gave you a good suggestion. Try and figure out a way to secure a ladder to the roof via his suggested method. In the past on customers steep roofs I've laid the ladder on the roof and set a piece of 2x just below the highest rung so the ladder "catches" the 2x. Then screwed that one 2x to the roof. Holds the ladder well. Still no fun, but not bad. That way you only have 2 holes to seal back up. To seal the holes just lift the shingle tabs and apply roof cement under the tab. Be generous with the cement around the holes. Done right the roof will be sealed and still look good.

BTW .... I'll soon be facing a similar install.

Good luck, be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.