Q&A Attaching facings to fireplace front

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am in the process of refacing my flush faced pre-fab fireplace with marble tiles. It was installed by the developer of my townhome development approx.10 years ago. I have removed the ceramic tiles that were attached with mortar directly to both the exterior black faced metal box of the fireplace and the adjacent drywall. Unfortunately- I found out that it was a relatively sloppy job and the underlying surface was not uniform (Apparently the box was dented and there were gaps between the dry wall and the metal surrounding the fireplace). I have been given conflicting advice about the proper way to attach the tiles to the exterior of the fireplace- especially the metal box. Some have recommended an underlayment like wonderboard (This wouldn't be the most aesthetic solution- as the marble would project too far out from the surface of the fireplace)- others say it isn't necessary and a latex thinset mortar applied to both the drywall and the box will do- and still others have recommended something called "heavy duty majestic adhesive". I would like to do a proper job- what do you recommend?

Answer:

The thinset mortar- with a latex additive- should work well. Sometimes I use silicone caulk on the black area of the fireplace if the tile extends partway on the wall facing and partway on the black area...but be careful- it is possible for silicone to "bleed thru" certain transparent marble.

Status
Not open for further replies.