Attack of the Mice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derrickp

Dec 7, 2007
Western New York
Every winter I store my pellets in the garage, usually 2 ton in the garage and 1 ton in the basement, today the basement stash was getting low so I thought it would be time to bring some in from the garage(all next week it is supposed to be in the single digits.

Get about half way down the stack in the garage and see a mouse nest, ruffle it up and see two of the little critters, flick them out into the snow. The chewed part way into one bag and were bedded on top of it, didn't see to actually chew the pellets though.

But the pee and poop piled up just outside the nest was terrible. Many of the bags stink, but hopefully it didn't penetrate the plastic pellet bags, I opened one up and scooped out some pellets with a bucket and they don't seem to smell, hopefully they are safe to burn.

Derrick

Should be fine to burn.... might want to be careful sweeping the dust up.... junta virus should be pretty well denatured by burning so the ash should not be a problem. But you can get nasty sick from sweeping sawdust from the bags that fell off on the floor. If Junta Virus is in these mice. Not sure if it was reported in your area.

Thanks for the tip, hopefully I won't get sick I was carrying the bags from the garage to the house.

Don't think so. What I know of it, is that the virus if present is usually carried on dust... people get sick from sweeping and vacuuming with a non-hepa filtered machine.

That's only one of the diseases mice can carry... only one more reason to not want them around my place.

Yeah I went out and bought some traps and placed them in the garage. Hopefully catch any that are left.

I had 2 3/4 tons of pellets stored outside in my open air shed, and did not see any indication of mice when I brought the 2 tons of NEWP pellets into the basement a few weeks ago. Hopefully they haven't touched my 3/4 ton of Lignetics hardwood that's still out there......if they do, there will be trouble!!! :mad:

Four years now storing pellets in my unheated, detached garage.
I know there are mice around because I've seen them.
Never had them mess with my pellets though.

So far, no evidence of mice getting into the pellets. I have a nice and friendly cat who loves to explore the garage. Not uncommon at all to see little critter victims frozen in the snow by the door. Cat always on the prowl. He doesn't eat them, he prefers his cat food. He earns his keep.

Save$, I see your signature mentions 6 tons of pellets.....did you buy them during the summer, before Sept.? If so, you may qualify as a Pellet Pig. LOL

Oh yes! I did get my pellets before Sep. We used to burn wood. Always secured my fuel early on. If this qualifies me as a pellet pig, then so be it. (proud of it too!) We are keeping warm now just as we did when we were bringing up 4 kids.
Really like this forum. Always something new to learn and helpful to avoid problems. Good sense of humor always appreciated.

save$ said:
Oh yes! I did get my pellets before Sep. We used to burn wood. Always secured my fuel early on. If this qualifies me as a pellet pig, then so be it. (proud of it too!)......

Well, if you picked them up in a pick-up, or an old trailer, and hand stacked them, your in!

Just add the now infamous pellet pig saying to your signature line:

“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselves” - eernest4- Grand Pooba - Pellet Pig Club

Status
Not open for further replies.