Attaining wood from a tree guy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflakes

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2014
Maryland
I was just curious how many of you get free wood from your local arborist. How did you go about getting the contact? Do they go out of their way to drop it off, or will they only drop wood off if they are in the area with a job? Also - is it free most of the time, or do you pay for it?

I just sent a local company a polite email, more or less telling them I'd burn anything.... I didn't mention money, but kinda left it open ended... just to put out a feeler.

It seems like everyone around here has the "fear of pine".... so I'm on the hunt to find a free hook up for pine, (or any wood) - but pine just seems more doable for being completely free.

Be careful not to take anything. Your get huge poor quality rotten woods with poison ivy all over it.

Reactions: splitoak
Don't hesitate to stop and ask when you see crews working or people with trees down.

Check out Craig's list under free stuff especially after a storm.

Be careful not to take anything. Your get huge poor quality rotten woods with poison ivy all over it.

I agree. You don't want a 5 foot diameter of dead junk dropped in your driveway. I do imagine you could get a connection for free pine, as most people won't burn it.

I have answered ads on CL and have made many contacts for free wood, in 10 years I have only had to cut down about 8 trees myself. I hooked up with a local crew last month, they hand loaded my truck and used a stand-on mini loader with a grapple hook to load my trailer. I got 2 loads from this crew and didn't touch a stick until it had to be unloaded in my driveway. I was invited to scrounge around their dump lot for more rounds and I'll take them up on that after Christmas. For anyone in the KC area the company is Stewart's "Tree-Mend-Us" Care, their lot is in Grandview, Mo.

Last edited:
I have answered ads on CL and have made many contacts for free wood, in 10 years I have only had to cut down about 8 trees myself. I hooked up with a local crew last month, they hand loaded my truck and used a stand-on mini loader with a grapple hook to load my trailer. I got 2 loads from this crew and didn't touch a stick until it had to be unloaded in my driveway. I was invited to scrounge around their dump lot for more rounds and I'll take them up on that after Christmas. For anyone in the KC area the company is Wrights Tree service, their lot is in Grandview, Mo.

Hardwood, or pine?

Hardwood, or pine?
This last score was all dead standing black locust. I collect nothing but oak, locust, mulberry, walnut, hedge or hickory. If it is rotten just say no. There are so many sources for free hardwood in this area people will let pine or maple rot in the field.

This last score was all dead standing black locust. I collect nothing but oak, locust, mulberry, walnut, hedge or hickory. If it is rotten just say no. There are so many sources for free hardwood in this area people will let pine or maple rot in the field.

That's great. Lots of hardwoods around here as well, but also lots of wood burners.

i avoid "free" wood these days...whether people just dont know the difference between good and bad wood, or if they are looking for a way to clean up their yard for free, its not worth the awkward conversations, time or effort. It seems when people find out you want free wood your house becomes a dumping ground that you have to sort through. haha

Get ahead and then you can be picky about what gets delivered.....

Status
Not open for further replies.