attempting to finish my basement...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow... that does look good... im going to have to run that by her..i really do like it.. i love old houses.. so much character unlike my boring poured walls and floor.. my parents and sister both have old houses, but they have 1/2 concrete and 1/2 dirt... and im not too jealous of that

maybe she will want walls instead of a floor.. because we cant afford both right now

Here's a couple more pics.

My basement is a total of about 800 sq ft. I sectioned off about 300 sq ft. Basement ceiling is too low to put a finished ceiling in, so thats why there are sheetrocked walls and nothing else!!

It is what it is, I guess: A PLACE FOR ME TO HIDE!!!!!!!

Once the wood stove gets piped in, I'm not sure anyone will even see me until April!!!

Attachments

• CIMG3094-2.jpg
    CIMG3094-2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 184
  • CIMG3096.jpg
    CIMG3096.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 203
i like it... i talked it over last night with the g/f... i gave her the options of tiled floors and no walls, or painted floor with walls... she went with the painted/died floor with the walls..

with this option we might have a little left over for some new light fixtures

so with that out of the way, the next step,

should i build a hearth for the p-61? why do people build them up so high? even if the floor is not flammable?

highbody said:
i like it... i talked it over last night with the g/f... i gave her the options of tiled floors and no walls, or painted floor with walls... she went with the painted/died floor with the walls..

with this option we might have a little left over for some new light fixtures

so with that out of the way, the next step,

should i build a hearth for the p-61? why do people build them up so high? even if the floor is not flammable?

Nice.

Not sure about the hearth. I just put mine where it is and am waiting for it to be piped in. I have no combustibles near my stove, (except for a carrying beam which was 17.5" near my stove pipe. So, I boxed that in with cement board with 1" spacers), so a hearth was not needed. Space was also an issue, as you can pretty much tell!

Before you paint, make sure you use a degreaser on the floor and scrub it in. Then mop it up with clean water. Repeat if you want. That will make sure the paint will adhere to the floor. (I powerwashed mine. Neighbor powerwashed and I sucked up the water with a wet vac). But as I've said, my house/floor is old so it was probably much dirtier than yours.

Once its all clean and dried, start painting with a good quality patio floor/basement floor paint. I did three coats throughout the whole floor. I didn't prime the floor, (have read where people do two coats of primer then paint as many coats as desired after that), so the first coat soaked right in!! I bought a total of 3 gallons of paint, and have some left for future touch ups.

There is another thread about basements here in this section. It talks about what materials to use when actually making the room (framing, walls, etc.) Check that out, too.

thanks again.. do they have alot of colors for the patio and basement floor paint? did you seal the floor or put in any kind of waterproofing?

ill take some pics soon as i believe we are prob going to start the framing in this week

my g/f just came home from a friends house that did an epoxy basement floor.. she likes how that looks and her friends husband is the owner of the business so he will cut us a deal on materials and labor for our room... i think this may be what were going to do.

the gutter guy is coming this week... for 200$ he is going to put a gutter on the back of the house and run a pipe away from the house... for a little more he said he will look at the front gutter situatiobn and deal with that also

highbody said:
my g/f just came home from a friends house that did an epoxy basement floor.. she likes how that looks and her friends husband is the owner of the business so he will cut us a deal on materials and labor for our room... i think this may be what were going to do.

the gutter guy is coming this week... for 200$ he is going to put a gutter on the back of the house and run a pipe away from the house... for a little more he said he will look at the front gutter situatiobn and deal with that also

Yeah, epoxy paint will work as well. The Ben Moore Patio and Floor paint is epoxy based. Rustoleum makes a 1-part epoxy paint, too. You are probably talking about the 2-part epoxy paint that you mix though, right? My neighbor does that for his garage, and it comes out nice (he doesn't use the sprinkle chips though). Not sure if that stuff can be tinted or if they have a few stock colors to choose from. The paint I used can be tinted to one of many color choices. My color was called "Patio White".

After cleaning my floor, I used a product called "Concrete Treat". Ordered it online. Its supposed to seal moisture out of the concrete/mortar joints, stopping humidity and efflouresence from coming through. It forms a glass-like barrier that is supposed to be rated as a vapor barrier. I sprayed it on my floor and walls and am happy with it. Its expensive though. Think it cost me $155 to have 5 gallons of it shipped to my house. Google the product and check out the website.

I did not waterproof. Always scared of waterproofing from the inside and trapping water in my foundation where it would freeze and crack. I would rather have water come in and shop vac it up. When water comes in my basement, it comes in on my workbench side and pools up there (in the pic where you see a fan and babygate). Water has only reached the "finished" side 3 times in my 8 yrs living here.

That seems like a nice gutter price. I am in the market for gutters for this joint next spring. I was expecting prices in the $1000 range for my two sections.

i was thinking about the problem of trapping the moisture in... ill have to ask the guy about the freezing thing... but wouldn't it be below the frost line??

my house is a simple ranch.. 2 strait shots...

my g/f didnt tell me much about the epoxy, im going to call the guy monday and get some ideas about the pros and cons off it in our living room

I had some issues trying to get dura-vent piping to fit with my p-61 stove, after 2-3 trips to aubishons hardware i gave up and went to our local heating store Mainline heating in ashford ct, they gave me ICC piping, the guy i delt with was chris and he said they use to deal dura-vent, but they got alot of repair calls on it leaking, this icc pipe i only have to silicon on the adapter pipe and that's it (granted it was 3x the price of duravent), so we figured out what we would be needing. i mock it up today so we can get an idea of what we were dealing with..

i tore down a wall in the basement to open up the main room witch added another 5x8 foot peace to the existing living room.. im still researching the flooring options.. the insulation is going to be expensive by itself

Status
Not open for further replies.