ATTENTION ELECTRICIONS: Please help almost done with tarm instal, now I need to figure out the wiri

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

machinistbcb

Nov 21, 2007
Sabattus Maine
I am trying to figure out the wiring on my tarm. I bought it used so almost everything is already connected. I have a mechanical timer that I want to use to shut power off to the tarm while I am gone and the wood is all burned up. See the makeshift diagram below I have a aqua stat to turn on the circ pump and one to turn off the fan. Also a 24v volt transformer to power the fan control. See the four wires that will be coming out the right side of the mechanical timer. The blue one is snipped off on both ends and seems like it wasn't used. The remaing three wires is where I am getting confused.

Any Ideas on how I should wire these wires into the mechanical timer ???? thanks brian

Attachments

• TARMWIRE.JPG
    TARMWIRE.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 410
I don't know the wiring configuration of that Tarm, so am hesitant to wade in too deep-- but instead of a timer, how about a temperature-controlled switch on the flue pipe- that way, when the fire goes out, the circuits shut down, rather than with a timer, where you inherently have to guess (and deliberately over-estimate) burn time

Trevor,

What kind of temperature control switch are you suggesting? (like an aquastat for exhaust gas temps)

I would like to do a similar switch for my draft control on my Seton.

Thanks,
Steve

I don't have the details at hand and have to run off to the pesky day job, so can't look now, but I am going to want to use one of these (stack temp switches) too, so will try to look up this evening after my son is in bed. You can find reference to use of these in the Laddomat 21 circulator brochure

Nobody wants to take a stab at it ? I know the electrical diagram is pretty bad, but I am getting desperate now. I filled the tank up tonight. Now all I need to do is figure out the wiring. I really want to fire this thing up as it has been almost 4 months since I started this project, and also I have diconnected my old wood boiler so I need to get the tarm going for my DHW.

Thanks, (hope I dont sound like I am begging for suggestions)

Brian

I read about the flue temperature thermostat in the "laddomat" instructions, and from looking around some more, it seems that these types of "stack" thermostats are apparently used frequently in Europe, both to control circulator systems on wood boilers and also to control wood boilers sharing a chimney with fossil appliances (so that the fossil appliance won't light off when the wood unit is combusting)

but, like so many other things in this line of endeavor, it appears that things that are common in Europe are not yet common here.

nearest thing I could find at a non-exhorbitant price is as follows:
go to www.mcmaster.com
put "thermostat" in the search box
click on page 554 "Thermocouple Accessories & Temperature Switches", which for me at least, was at the top of the search results
scroll down to "Submersible-Cartridge Temperature Switches" which are described as "Submersible to the top of the 300 series stainless steel outer shell. Setpoint adjusts from -100° to +600° F. All include two 8" long fiberglass-insulated lead wires."

While I cannot offer any professional advice, and anything you do is on your own judgment and at your own, it seems like you could adapt something like this, strapped onto or carefully inserted into, the flue pipe, to sense when the fire is burning, and when it has gone out, so as to be able to control other parts of the system (instead of a timer)

good luck

Trevor thanks for the input in that type of sensor, I will lookinto that in the future, But the time is at hand now so I dove into and connected a few wires and presto I am now up and running. I just started a fire and its trying to get up to temp now. There lots of condesation dripping of it right now the starting water temp was probably 55 degree. wish me luck

brian

good luck and keep us all posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.