Attention Ladies & Gents : The Winter intermission is now over.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

55 °F and rain like a b!tch yesterday :sick: . Snow so hard I couln't see the dog at the end of the leash this AM :) . Single digits Friday :wow:

Here comes the second half of winter.

Just a thought . . .we need a new forum where we can b!tch about the weather :coolsmile:

OK here is mine. Heating since September this season. Not that much -40 this year (so far) plenty of winter left though, so staying prepared for the inevitable -40. Will probably need to heat till the end of May (normal). So let's hear from those who have it worse. Say someone from the North Pole. Seriously those of you who live in a climate where you can stay warm in a tent, with a candle & complain about winter.....well you make me wonder.

well, not b!tchin', but the more warm days we have in january, the closer we get to spring, the better. Haven't had any serious cold this yr, guys are having problems trying to ice fish. A few have drowned crossing the lakes. Strange winter, but not burning much wood.

The tent thing, we can sleep outside in a tent, without candle heat in july, if we don't get a frost. i know there are colder places than where i live, but i don't want to see 'em. About 15yrs ago i saw -54 on the thermometer, not wind chill! It does get a bit nippy up here from time to time.

......but, spring was nice for the few days that it lasted! Was so nice to just go outside without all the usual winter attire! I didn't set the cycle timer on my boiler and the fire went out overnight due to no call for heat for several hours.

But hey, the days are getting longer and groundhog day is right around the corner!

Frozen Canuck said:
OK here is mine. Heating since September this season. Not that much -40 this year (so far) plenty of winter left though, so staying prepared for the inevitable -40. Will probably need to heat till the end of May (normal). So let's hear from those who have it worse. Say someone from the North Pole. Seriously those of you who live in a climate where you can stay warm in a tent, with a candle & complain about winter.....well you make me wonder.

How did they measure temperature before the thermometer was invented?

Frozen Canuck said:

Well, you always can MOVE to Cancune, or Jamaica ;-)

Kvitchyabellyachen....

Never been to Jamaica, relatives that have been did not care for it at all, say they would never go back. Been to Cancun. Brochures look wonderful, in reality all the beaches are gone....sucked up & spat out....by something they get in warmer climates....hmm....let's see....they called it.....oh yes.....a Hurricane!!!! Thanks I'll keep the snow.

Frozen Canuck said:
Never been to Jamaica, relatives that have been did not care for it at all, say they would never go back. Been to Cancun. Brochures look wonderful, in reality all the beaches are gone....sucked up & spat out....by something they get in warmer climates....hmm....let's see....they called it.....oh yes.....a Hurricane!!!! Thanks I'll keep the snow.

Ohh... those "fabled" hurricanes... what's a little wind (100 mph+) and water (20+foot waved [great for surfin']) ;-)....

Sorry, I'm just in a pissy mood...

I can't complain - I (we) live on an Island (or my interpretation - an OVERCROWDED sand bar.. ) so our weather is MUCH milder than yours. Today, we where +40f (46f as a high) and an expected low of 28f tonight. That little pond called the Atlantic is a GREAT climate controller - cooler summers and warmer winters. Why don't you and the misses come down south of the 49th and warm up a while...

Good luck to ya, I hope that you have enough wood S&S to last you a life time.
PJ

Frozen Canuck said:
Seriously those of you who live in a climate where you can stay warm in a tent, with a candle & complain about winter.....well you make me wonder.

You people that don't know the phone number of a moving company make me wonder. :lol:

PJF1313 said:
Frozen Canuck said:

Ohh... those "fabled" hurricanes... what's a little wind (100 mph+) and water (20+foot waved [great for surfin']) ;-)...Lol, yes good for dying in also.

Sorry, I'm just in a pissy mood... No prob I am having fun also.

I can't complain - I (we) live on an Island (or my interpretation - an OVERCROWDED sand bar.. )Wow you could be getting too friendly with that dying part I spoke of earlier, move inland !!!! so our weather is MUCH milder than yours. Today, we where +40f (46f as a high) yes warmer for us too, only -6f here now, colder tonight, but still a nice warm up and an expected low of 28f tonight. That little pond called the Atlantic is a GREAT climate controller - cooler summers and warmer winters. Why don't you and the misses come down south of the 49th and warm up a while...That's the plan soon, Puerta Vallarta for us this year....less Hurricanes on the Pacific side ;-) :coolsmile:

Good luck to ya, I hope that you have enough wood S&S to last you a life time. Thanks, I will never catch up to the rate of die off on our property, so yes wood for life, but not S&S wish it was though, take care. :)
PJ

Come on now folks, it's still January.

Next week is Groundhog Day. That's the half-way point of the heating season.

Buckle up. This ride's got a long way to go.

I haven't even got all my seed catalogs in the mail yet!

Fred61 said:
Frozen Canuck said:

cool
Chilly
Cold
Really cold
D-mm cold
Sh-t it`s cold
SOB it`s cold
So cold the fire went out.
The End....Ice Age

DaveBP said:
Come on now folks, it's still January.

Next week is Groundhog Day. That's the half-way point of the heating season.

Buckle up. This ride's got a long way to go.

I haven't even got all my seed catalogs in the mail yet!

What I don't get is if its a Groundhog, why can't we make sausages out of the little b******d and call it a day... Long as it keeps him out of the garden, I really don't care...

Gooserider

What I don’t get is if its a Groundhog, why can’t we make sausages out of the little b******d and call it a day… Long as it keeps him out of the garden, I really don’t care…

Gooserider

I find a 17HMR does a pretty good job of keeping him out of the garden. And a fox that was a little too curious about the lambs in the barn paddock.

DaveBP said:
What I don’t get is if its a Groundhog, why can’t we make sausages out of the little b******d and call it a day… Long as it keeps him out of the garden, I really don’t care…

Gooserider

I find a 17HMR does a pretty good job of keeping him out of the garden. And a fox that was a little too curious about the lambs in the barn paddock.

QUICK----CALL PETA

Bricks said:
Fred61 said:
Frozen Canuck said:

cool
Chilly
Cold
Really cold
D-mm cold
Sh-t it`s cold
SOB it`s cold
The End....Ice Age

Well I asked a friend the same question and he presented me with this little tidbit of information that I didn't know:

It was necessary to keep a good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old war ships. But to prevent them from rolling around about the deck was a major problem. The best storage method devised was to stack them as a square based pyramid, with one ball on top resting on four, resting on nine, which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem - how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others.

Answer

The solution was a metal plate with 16 round dimples, called, for reasons unknown, a Monkey. But if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls quickly rusted to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make the plates of brass - hence Brass Monkeys. Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts more rapidly than iron when chilled.

Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.

Thus, it was quite literally,cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. All this time you thought it was just a vulgar
expression.

Now that we have thermometers we should run an experiment to see just what that temperature was.

Reactions: 7acres
Fred61 said:
DaveBP said:

Gooserider

QUICK----CALL PETA

I'm a firm believer in PETA - PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS... I enjoy them every chance I get... After all, if the gods hadn't meant for us to eat animals, why'd they make them out of MEAT????

Gooserider

Code:
Seriously those of you who live in a climate where you can stay warm in a tent, with a candle & complain about winter…..well you make me wonder.

No kidding! I envy your location. I live in central Wisconsin, you know, right on the border of Confederate Territory, and it gets too warm here.

If you want to hear me complain about winter just hang out with me when the temperatures get above 30 in the middle of January!

Fred61 said:
Frozen Canuck said:

Ever hear of a "three dog night"? :)

Fred61 said:
Bricks said:
Fred61 said:
Frozen Canuck said:

cool
Chilly
Cold
Really cold
D-mm cold
Sh-t it`s cold
SOB it`s cold
The End....Ice Age

Well I asked a friend the same question and he presented me with this little tidbit of information that I didn't know:

It was necessary to keep a good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old war ships. But to prevent them from rolling around about the deck was a major problem. The best storage method devised was to stack them as a square based pyramid, with one ball on top resting on four, resting on nine, which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem - how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others.

Answer

The solution was a metal plate with 16 round dimples, called, for reasons unknown, a Monkey. But if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls quickly rusted to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make the plates of brass - hence Brass Monkeys. Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts more rapidly than iron when chilled.

Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.

Thus, it was quite literally,cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. All this time you thought it was just a vulgar
expression.

Now that we have thermometers we should run an experiment to see just what that temperature was.

Fred61...like it!! Just got to try to remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.