Attention Long Island Scroungers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
da-da-da (queue the dramatic music....)

This posting has been flagged for removal

Is it because it borders on being a commercial ad? I have a local woodsmith I was going to mention here, but maybe not...

well... this thread sucks.

Wife and I were hiking in Caumsett State Park near Huntington. And I saw they have an area set a side of fire wood. They had a bunch of rounds in a pile. I don’t know what you need to do to get to it. (I have my supply already for next year). But anyone looking my want to given them a call.

Wife and I were hiking in Caumsett State Park near Huntington. And I saw they have an area set a side of fire wood. They had a bunch of rounds in a pile. I don’t know what you need to do to get to it. (I have my supply already for next year). But anyone looking my want to given them a call.

Stop at the front booth to fill out a form and acknowledge their rules and liability. $10 deposit on a permit that has to be returned by the end of the day. No large trucks, small pickups are OK. 4 wheel drive comes in handy if the ground is wet. Some parks restrict commercial plates. Some of the pieces are pretty large and you may need a chainsaw.

Best scrounging is in the spring when they are cleaning up the park for the season or just after a good storm. Most NYS parks have a similar firewood area.

You can call the individual park's office and they will let you know if the wood pile is open (some are closed on busy holidays and weekends). Some will even save you a trip by letting you know what has been dumped on the pile recently.

KaptJaq

Alright, I'll ask. Can we alert others, regardless of the source, on this forum?

I'm not sure exactly what happened with this thread. I posted a link to a craig's list ad I saw, that I thought someone might be interested in. It was a tree guy who was looking for someone to take his wood which would be bucked. Then the ad was deleted, so I'm not so sure what you're asking me, here. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. You can alert the others. I'm not sure what you're alerting them to, but if you're asking my permission; Permission granted.

Reactions: Realstone
Just for future reference it would be nice if you put in quotes what the CL ad says so if it does get deleted people on here would know what it said. Or post a screenshot of it if you feel it is worthy of that.
good point.

This may be a great contact or it may be a dud. I found this on Craig's List and thought some of you may be interested. I do not know this guy at all, but just wanted to share.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/zip/3003510990.html

Here's what the ad said. Its all in caps so it's hard to read, and the contact email is probably dead but here it is.

Date: 2012-05-08, 1:31PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected]

I DO A LOT OF CLEANUPS/TREE REMOVAL AND I SOMETIMES HAVE FIREWOOD THAT'S BEEN SITTING FOR YEARS, A DEAD TREE THAT FINALLY FELL, OR I CUT DOWN TREES. I AM LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN SUFFOLK, I GO FROM BOTH THE SOUTH/NORTH FORK, TO THE NASSAU BORDER. LAST WEEK I HAD 3 PICKUP TRUCKS FULL OF FIREWOOD IN CENTRAL ISLIP, AND I DID THIS LAST WEEK AND ONE GUY SHOWED UP WITHIN THE COURSE OF THREE DAYS AND PICKED IT UP. I ACTUALLY THINK HE WAS GOING TO CHOP IT UP AND RESELL IT! I'M NOT EXPECTING YOU DROP EVERYTHING AND COME TO ME. I AM NOT CUTTING IT UP INTO LITTLE PIECES. I USUALLY CUT THEM AS SMALL AS I NEED TO LIFT THEM (SOMETIMES WITH A PARTNER) AND THROW THEM IN MY TRUCK. THIS IS FREE AS LONG AS YOU HELP ME YOU WILL HAVE FREE FIREWOOD FOR LIFE!!!!

I WANT YOU TO CONTACT ME, AND LET ME KNOW
1) WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED AND HOW FAR YOU ARE WILLING TO TRAVEL (EX BRENTWOOD 15 MILE RADIUS)
2) HOW MUCH YOU ARE WILLING TO PICK UP IF I CALL (EX. ANYTHING, YOU HAVE, A PICK UP TRUCK FULL, SOME SMALL LIMBS)
3) AND YOUR AVAILABILITY (EX. ANYTIME, WEEKENDS, WEEKNIGHTS ETC.)
4) CONTACT # PREFERABLY CELL PHONE WITH TEXT WOULD BE GREAT, I'LL CALL AND SPEAK TO YOU AND INTRODUCE MYSELF, BUT WHEN I NEED YOU I WILL PROBABLY TEXT.

I'm not sure exactly what happened with this thread. I posted a link to a craig's list ad I saw, that I thought someone might be interested in. It was a tree guy who was looking for someone to take his wood which would be bucked. Then the ad was deleted, so I'm not so sure what you're asking me, here. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. You can alert the others. I'm not sure what you're alerting them to, but if you're asking my permission; Permission granted.
My comment was regarding James02's post:

I got the idea from his post that posting about free firewood from those in the arbor business equated to some form of spam, so I posed the question.

Got it. Thanks for clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.