1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Attic Masonry Chimney Question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Nickolai, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Nickolai

Nickolai Member

Loc:
    Western Ontario
    So I came across a possible install today and am stumped at the moment.
    The home owner wants to have a wood stove installed in a summer kitchen area in the back of their 175 year old home.

They would like it in the same place that I'm assuming was home to an old cook stove. The original chimney is still in place and has a plate over the flue entrance and would normally seem to me like a pretty basic liner install.

Trouble is, the masonry chimney has been taken down below the roof line and the roof has long since been enclosed and sealed.

Is there a way to run a liner up to the top of the masonry, carry on with factory built chimney and properly breach the roof similar to a usual factory built chimney install???

I've yet to dig through the WETT books as I just returned home, just thought I'd ask the pros first.
    Sorry about the pic quality, I snapped a couple from the attic the best I can and the other is from the summer kitchen looking up at the flue.
    Thanks,

Nick
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354243751.179762.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354243772.486043.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354243792.472414.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354243810.803503.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Why not just open up the roof and build the masonry stack back up? It would give you structure, into which you could install a blanket-wrapped liner.
  3. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Class A anchor plate. I got one from Rockford sitting atop my my masonry chimney, 6" flex below and a 2' section of class A above.
    DAKSY likes this.
  4. Nickolai

Nickolai Member

Loc:
    Western Ontario
    I suggested that route, they would like it done as soon as possible. Not sure I could get to that this year as well as find a matching brick.
  5. Nickolai

Nickolai Member

Loc:
    Western Ontario
    Thanks Brian!

I'll look into going that route!
  6. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
  7. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

Who said you need matching brick? Everything above the roof would be the same brick. Also you wouldn't have to necessarily build the chimney to the same size, length and width. If you are installing only one flue liner, you could if it fits, just use 16x16 or 16x20 chimney block. That would be fast and cheap.
    Dakotas Dad likes this.
  8. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
  9. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Is there room to just finish taking the masonry chimney out and go up the space with a class a chimney ?
  10. Nickolai

Nickolai Member

Loc:
    Western Ontario
    Thanks guys, didn't mean to re post the same topic, didn't catch it on my search I guess

I have an anchor plate on order from a local shop, should be installing within the next couple weeks.

Nick
  11. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Throw up a couple more pics when you install. I want to see how it works out.