Attic Shield too tall.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
I'm about to begin the process of doing my chimney install thru my ceiling. I've run into a small issue with the metal fab brand attic shield I was planning to use. It's too tall. My roof is a 4/12 composite and I'm on the outer edge of that roof. I had planned to just trim it to that pitch at the same level as the roof decking but after a long chat with a technical rep from metal fab (which by the way was VERY VERY helpful and knew his product well) he advised me not to do that. I want to make sure I don't do ANYTHING incorrectly with passing the pipe thru the roof and I assume I'm not the only one who has run into this kind of issue. How have those of you that have done these installs dealt with this issue? Can I just use aluminum roof flashing and surround the support box up to the underside of the roof to provide the air gap and keep insulation back?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

My understanding is that you don't need the attic insulation shield to even be metal. It can be wood so long as it maintains the 2 in clearance. With mine i ended up having the shield stick out the top of my roof slightly and the weather shield had enough clearance above that.

If i couldn't have done what i did i would have made an insulation shield out of whatever from the ceiling joists to the rafters and put a rafter radiation shield up along the roof.

Reactions: tlhfirelion
My understanding is that you don't need the attic insulation shield to even be metal. It can be wood so long as it maintains the 2 in clearance. With mine i ended up having the shield stick out the top of my roof slightly and the weather shield had enough clearance above that.

If i couldn't have done what i did i would have made an insulation shield out of whatever from the ceiling joists to the rafters and put a rafter radiation shield up along the roof.

I assumed that was the end goal, clearance. I have aluminum flashing so I'll just use that and create the air gap. Thank you.

Ditto. Attic insulation shield sometimes projects above the roof line and stays under the weather gaurd (cone). Seemed odd the first time I dealt with it as well. Makes for a rather tough/tight clearance install down there in the never, never land portion of the attic. And i am a rather slender dude! Almost need yoga skills in those locations. Just my experiance. Not a proffesional!

Reactions: tlhfirelion
Status
Not open for further replies.