Attic Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandor

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2005
Deltaville,VA
Just moved in with the women and trying to get the home to be "Mo Green".

Put the remote temp sensor in the attic and have been getting 144F peak temps. That being sunny and high eighties outside. Roof has full sun exposure between 10 and 4.

Several weeks ago I went up in the attic and straightened out the insulation. This is a modular (not mobile) rancher. About six areas with no insulation. Looks like it was tossed aside to do plumbing/electric and never put back.

This morning I went into the attic again (before Sunrise) to look around some more. The house has roll roof venting the entire length of the peak. The open part of the peak had been mostly shingled over, about 70 percent, rendering the ridge vent less than effective. Went ahead and cut out the shingle overlap from the inside (pain in the AZZ). Peak reading today is 133. However today, its 95F out with a dew point of 81 and dead calm.

So, on the hottest day of the year so far, the attic temp dropped from 143 to 133. May even prevent a potential ice dam in the winter too. And by looking at the gutters, ice dams may have been an issue before.

Anyone else monitor attic temps? I use a remote probe with the digital weather station.

Next week its supposed to be close to 100! With humidity!!!!

there should be atleast 1" air space each side of the ridge pole for ridge vents to work Even 133 is high, should be more like 120 or lower .Possible solution a roof fan. Sounds like the roofing crew consisted of Moe Larry and Culy

I have had a gable fan for years. When the last one died two years ago I could really tell the difference upstairs until I got off my butt and replaced it. I keep it set at 100 degrees and the only problem is when the weather gets cooler and I could use the heat gain, but that is ususally only a few weeks.

Can't do gable vents on this house. The flip up roofs on modulars have supports that come up from both sides to hold up the ridge, effectively blocking the area with the 2x4 supports.

House will need a roof soon, so it will be either a ridig roof vent (not this rolled crap), or seal up the ridge and go to the solar attic fan.

I'm shooting for a max of 125f.

Status
Not open for further replies.