ATV Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
Am looking for an ATV, I read the thread below started by 10range with interest. I've got 12 acres and have been using my garden tractor to haul wood around (Husky 25 hp), but most parts aren't level and the Husky tractor isn't going to make it except for right around the house so am eye balling used ATVs....will also use this during deer season and to plow my driveway (it's long, about 700 feet but I live in MD and we don't get a lot of snow). I'm trying to get a feel for used prices, is there something like a Kelly BB for ATVs? Here's a couple of listings.....could I get some advice from you guys please so I can start getting a feel for fair deals:

For $2500:

Polaris Sportsman 4x4 ATV 500 EFI w / 75 miles.
Polaris 2500lb winch
Polaris Glacier Snow Plow Kit w / 48" Blade and QD
Front Brush Guard and Rear Bumper
Front and Rear Rack Extensions

For $2370:

2008 Bombardier CAN-AM OUTLANDER 800 MAX XT ATV (only 60 hrs on it, has brush guards and a maybe a winch but no plow)

I've kept an eye out for hondas but the only one I've seen so far was old, and '86 for $1900 or so.

Thanks!

Keep an eye out for those big, pretty picture ads on CL that ask you to click on a link/connection. Almost ALWAYS a scam. I only say that b/c both of those deals seem almost too good to be true. Maybe we just have a nasty Cost of Living adjustment here in New England but i don't think i'd find either of those quads for less than $4-5K.

Do you know what year the Polaris is? Don't have a lot of experience with Bombardier, can't go wrong with a good polaris.

for example, just checked MY local craigslist (NW Conn) and found this add:

http://nwct.craigslist.org/tid/2306742816.html

Sorry but i'm 99.9% sure this is a scam. no phone number, same stats as yours i bet. Are the pics the same? Sorry, but it's some troll somewhere seeding CL with spam ads.

Edit: if you google the title of that ad with "craigslist" on the end, you get a TON of hits.

Lastly, not to beat a dead horse, but here's an example of a "real" polaris 800 listing, $6200: http://nwct.craigslist.org/rvs/2271275731.html

Exmasonite said:

Sorry but i'm 99.9% sure this is a scam. no phone number, same stats as yours i bet. Are the pics the same? Sorry, but it's some troll somewhere seeding CL with spam ads.

Edit: if you google the title of that ad with "craigslist" on the end, you get a TON of hits.

Lastly, not to beat a dead horse, but here's an example of a "real" polaris 800 listing, $6200: http://nwct.craigslist.org/rvs/2271275731.html

I love those fake craigslist's adds.....They'll have a great jeep for sale up here in Albany NY for $2800 and in the picture there are palm trees in the background.

Jack Straw said:
Exmasonite said:

I love those fake craigslist's adds.....They'll have a great jeep for sale up here in Albany NY for $2800 and in the picture there are palm trees in the background.

See, that's what I'm looking for guys. I can spot a too good to be true deal on a truck, car, or bike that's a scam but don't have a feel for ATVs. Should I forget CL and try some dealers?

I don't know... i'm super anal retentive about my big purchases so i'd naturally spend some time at the dealers (Cabelas had some nice ones when I was last in) just to get an idea as to features and price points, warranties, etc.

But, in the end, i'm a huge fan of used items, assuming you do your homework and due diligence. Minute you drive that ATV off the lot, it loses 15-20% of its value. Just have to be very cautious on CL, go for ads with phone numbers, be patient. Know the rough numbers ($4-6K for a decent, heavy duty used quad in good condition). If you're patient, you may be able to find something $3-4K but likely will be older, a little more used, or not have all the gadgets.

Spur
Most of the scams I see on craigslist don't have a phone number, just an email address. I also think they actually have a page on CL with what to look for in an ad to tell if its a scam or not. In any transaction, if its to good to be real its probably not a good deal. If you want something good your gonna have to pay good money for it. If your not sure you may want to go to a reputable dealer and buy something they will stand behind, unfortunately thats not always bullet proof either.

spur0701 said:
Am looking for an ATV, I read the thread below started by 10range with interest. I've got 12 acres and have been using my garden tractor to haul wood around (Husky 25 hp), but most parts aren't level and the Husky tractor isn't going to make it except for right around the house so am eye balling used ATVs....will also use this during deer season and to plow my driveway (it's long, about 700 feet but I live in MD and we don't get a lot of snow). I'm trying to get a feel for used prices, is there something like a Kelly BB for ATVs? Here's a couple of listings.....could I get some advice from you guys please so I can start getting a feel for fair deals:

For $2500:

Polaris 2500lb winch

For $2370:

2008 Bombardier CAN-AM OUTLANDER 800 MAX XT ATV (only 60 hrs on it, has brush guards and a maybe a winch but no plow)

I've kept an eye out for hondas but the only one I've seen so far was old, and '86 for $1900 or so.

Thanks!

Nice to see a fellow southern Marylander on the forum. That polaris seems like a deal, especially with only 75 miles. But sounds to good to be true, probably a scam. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Polaris, Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki. Personally I would stay away from Bombardier and CAN-AM. I'm just not sure about their long term reliability.

spur0701 said:
I'm trying to get a feel for used prices, is there something like a Kelly BB for ATVs?

There is the NADA values at www.nadaguides.com. Click on motorcycles then there is an ATV section. The values seem low compared to what I see on CL but maybe they are in higher demand around here, especially since spring is here (well, almost here since we still have snow on the ground).

spur0701 said:

For $2500:

Polaris 2500lb winch

For $2370:

Thanks!

As mentioned NADA has a section where they offer some prices, but I've always found the prices they list don't really offer as good real-world information vs. just checking and comparing similar ATVs being sold on Craigslist and our local shopper here in Maine -- Uncle Henrys (which is also on line now.) When I'm looking at pricing a used toy -- sled or ATV -- I generally check the price against other similar ATVs or sleds of the same year, make, model and mileage when possible at both CL and UH to give me a rough idea of a fair price.

As for new vs. used . . . I guess it really depends on how well you can tell if something has been maintained or not . . . how comfortable you feel about buying something without a warranty . . . etc. For an ATV I like to buy new since it's hard to tell if the previous owner just took it out hunting or puttering around their property or if they have routinely had it up to the seat in mud puddles . . . but on the flip side I have a friend who has bought used and he has ended up with some fantastic deals.

The two ATVs you mentioned both sound like decent ATVs that would be good for working . . . the Polaris most likely would offer the better ride but the Can Am would have quite a bit of power. I think either would work out well for you as both seem like they have not been used up hard . . . or at least not used for a long time. I guess the one thing I would do is call both owners and see what they used their ATVs for . . . 60 hours and 75 miles . . . these figures are not especially high . . . but knowing how the owner used the ATV -- went on a couple long ATV rides on the trails vs. plowed, hauled wood, etc. with the ATV may skew the scales to one or the other. I would also want to know why they are selling the ATV . . .

The plow is a nice feature . . . but I would not that be my deciding factor as you can get a brand new decent plow and set up for $300-$500 for most ATVs.

Final thought . . . as always . . . cash talks . . . betting the price on the CanAm could drop to $2,000 if you had cash in hand . . . maybe $250 less on the Polaris.

Status
Not open for further replies.