Atv decisions.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that the grizzly model when in 4wd, the power steering turns off. That would be no good when the rock crawling starts. I'm not sure if its the newer models though.

My Grizzly doesn't know about that so it just keeps on working in 4wd.

Reactions: WellSeasoned
Don't overlooked the used market. Plenty of lightly used machines out there...not sure where you are located but these are pretty common...usually guys trading up to a side-by-side:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3892893790.html

That's about the same number of miles and hours I had on mine when I got it....not even broken in yet.

I bought my brand new Rancher for less than that. I had a hard time finding a good used one personally.

I looked at new 2012 honda fourTrax rancher 420 AT w/eps. It was nice. I would like an automatic, which this is, along with the handle bar push button shift as well.

So far this model...

2. gears, no belt (not that variable speed belts are bad)
3. It has 3 features I would like, downhill assist, power steering, ind rear suspension
4.its 1k-2k $ cheaper than the polaris sportsman 550 & yamaha 450 grizzly (which I may still purchase)

Dislikes
1. Ive read that the auto trans cant decide which gear to be in when going uphill with obstacles/dips, ect, leaving the rider to rely on the push button shift ( which will be a pain while needing my hands to maneuver.
2. Reverse is a pain, pulling button down after push button to neutal...
3. Lack of true waterproof storage

Next quads on my list are grizzly and sportsman

Everybody should get some side betting going, who knows what ill pick.........

I looked at new 2012 honda fourTrax rancher 420 AT w/eps. It was nice. I would like an automatic, which this is, along with the handle bar push button shift as well.

So far this model...

2. gears, no belt (not that variable speed belts are bad)
3. It has 3 features I would like, downhill assist, power steering, ind rear suspension
4.its 1k-2k $ cheaper than the polaris sportsman 550 & yamaha 450 grizzly (which I may still purchase)

Dislikes
1. Ive read that the auto trans cant decide which gear to be in when going uphill with obstacles/dips, ect, leaving the rider to rely on the push button shift ( which will be a pain while needing my hands to maneuver.
2. Reverse is a pain, pulling button down after push button to neutal...
3. Lack of true waterproof storage

Next quads on my list are grizzly and sportsman

Everybody should get some side betting going, who knows what ill pick.........

Is this a true automatic . . . or just an automatic clutch where you don't have to use a hand lever to engage/disengage the clutch when shifting?

I should point out that I assume going into reverse is similar to my ATV . . . I pull the brake lever back, push down the reverse button and then drop it into reverse with my foot lever (my buddy has the handlebar mount shift) . . . it's really not that bad . . . no more so than folks who have to stop their machine and pull a lever to put it into reverse.

Also . . . push button shift . . . your hands should never need to leave the handlebars as you can shift up or down with your thumb.

It is both true auto with a semi auto standard option with the machine. Yes, thumb shift when not in auto mode.

It is both true auto with a semi auto standard option with the machine. Yes, thumb shift when not in auto mode.

There are two Honda "auto's". The Rancher auto is essentially the push-button shift (ESP) that shifts itself. It is still a gear on gear transmission. You can also take it out of auto mode and use the push buttons to choose your own gears.

The other auto is found on the Rubicon. This is referred to as the Hondamatic. It is a hydrostatic drive. You can also put the Rubicon in "manual" mode which allows you to "shift" the transmission to predetermined ratios (which are a set swash plate positions). I find it pretty useful for certain circumstances...and there's a certain fun factor to shifting your own gears (when you want to).

Honda does not have a belt driven CVT which is found on ALL the other manufacturers. Honda does not like belts and these are their attempts to compete in the auto transmission ATV market.

As for the reverse button....like Jake said...it isn't bad. On mine (and all other autos) you have to pull a shifter (on the left for Hondas) and the right for Polaris (and I think the others too...not sure). With the Honda you at least keep both hands on the handlebars, which is nice if you are in a tricky situation.

I bought my brand new Rancher for less than that. I had a hard time finding a good used one personally.

Agree. I got my Rubicon with comparable miles/hours for a lot less than that, but I looked on and off for a long time. Not saying that is "the one", but it is still $2K under MSRP. Add the winch and plow and you are closer to $3K.

Rancher AT has disk brakes (2 in front, 1 in rear). What do you mean by not sealed?
The rear disk brake is not sealed unlike say, the grizzly. And are the ranchers 3 eheel drive and not 4? Thx man

The rear disk brake is not sealed unlike say, the grizzly. And are the ranchers 3 eheel drive and not 4? Thx man
Hondas don't have a locking front diff...so they may spin 3 or 4 tires depending on the difference in traction between the two front tires. Diff lock is one place Honda is behind the market...but unless you are doing extreme rock crawling or mud bogging it really isn't an issue.

I don't know anything about sealed disk brakes.

Hondas don't have a locking front diff...so they may spin 3 or 4 tires depending on the difference in traction between the two front tires. Diff lock is one place Honda is behind the market...but unless you are doing extreme rock crawling or mud bogging it really isn't an issue.

I don't know anything about sealed disk brakes.

It is extremely rare that you run into a situation where you need all four tires pulling . . . and even then there is a trick on some Hondas . . . if you gently tap the brakes a few times you can lock things up a bit for extra pulling power.

Not sure about the sealed brakes either . . . I do know that I don't particularly care for my drum brakes and would much prefer disk brakes.

What's the name of the dealer in TN?

For hauling firewood I like my Polaris Ranger, dump box works great. I had two new atv's before the Ranger, Yamaha, then 650 Artic Cat, both nice machines but not the work horse the Polaris is. I hauled 1500 pounds of rock down the highway last week. As far as reliability it's been trouble free for 3 years. It is very comfortable to ride the suspension is super. It has the best 4 wheel drive of the three machines I owned. I live in the hills and it climbs better then both the other atv's combined. I once pulled my pickup truck down the driveway and last week I pulled my boat up a ski slope hill on wet grass.

It is extremely rare that you run into a situation where you need all four tires pulling . . . and even then there is a trick on some Hondas . . . if you gently tap the brakes a few times you can lock things up a bit for extra pulling power.

Not sure about the sealed brakes either . . . I do know that I don't particularly care for my drum brakes and would much prefer disk brakes.

Yep, this works, but I rarely have only 3 tires spinning, if ever. This only becomes an issue if making a tight turn or if you have one front wheel completely off the ground.

I've been wheeling and dealing on a few models. Gonna take my time. These dealers are rediculous. I've low balled all of them, and now the waiting game begins. Good thing I watch pawn stars. :)

Reactions: mikefrommaine
Here is the 2013 polaris 550xp w/eps I have been negotiating on. 2 Dealers have given me a quote, which I sent to another dealer to do better. I will do this for the next few weeks if need be until they both say they won't go lower.

I am doing the same thing with completely other dealers both with the honda rancher AT w/eps and grizzly 450 w/eps. Its hard, but I must wait! :mad:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373747773749.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373747773749.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 184
http://www.southernhonda.com/

I would encourage the OP to call there as well. They will give you their bottom line price up front over the phone.

I just called them, and they discounted (wholesale) the honda FourTrax Rancher AT w/electric power steering from the price up here in pa at $7500 to $5447.00! At those prices the wife wants one too. Added bonus, I work in logistics and can get a pallet rate of $140 each per quad to ship it carrier back here to pa! I will get more details monday, and who knows, I might do this! Thanks so much for that link!

Reactions: MasterMech
I just called them, and they discounted (wholesale) the honda FourTrax Rancher AT w/electric power steering from the price up here in pa at $7500 to $5447.00! At those prices the wife wants one too. Added bonus, I work in logistics and can get a pallet rate of $140 each per quad to ship it carrier back here to pa! I will get more details monday, and who knows, I might do this! Thanks so much for that link!

My pleasure! I heard about this place from some coworkers so it is regionally well known here in the southeast. Be advised they tried to pressure me to buy an aftermarket warranty and I said no way. I think that is where they make their money on the back end? I personally pulled my landscape trailer down there to pick it up, maybe a tank and a half for me: I saved 4 figures on the deal.

We'll see what happens.... I'll do business with southern honda, but first I'll use my quote from them at the local dealers I'm dealing with up here. I dont think it will have much affect up here, but I'll still try. Keeping fingers crossed. I may pull the trigger later this week. :confused:

We'll see what happens.... I'll do business with southern honda, but first I'll use my quote from them at the local dealers I'm dealing with up here. I dont think it will have much affect up here, but I'll still try. Keeping fingers crossed. I may pull the trigger later this week. :confused:

They might play ball. My research led me to believe that there are a few regional dealers around the country that discount their prices. There is a Yamaha/Polaris dealer on the western border of TN that has good prices also. Not as good as Southern Honda I believe. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.