1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

ATV load ramp

Post in 'The Gear' started by JoeB, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeB

JoeB New Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    I have a fairly large ATV I would like to load in the back of my Silverado 1500. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good load ramp? Which brand is the best?

fold away storage would be a plus, longer the better for safer loading, and traction. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Deere10

Deere10 New Member

Loc:
    Upstate N.Y
    FWIW I like to use the arch style ramps. But some of those are not foldable for storage. You mention a fairly large ATV How about the wheel wells in the bed of the truck??
  3. JoeB

JoeB New Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    It's a full size bed and if my measurements are correct, I should have an inch - 1.5" to spare.
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Tri-fold aluminum . . . folds down relatively small, strong and much safer in my opinion than using two single wheel ramps.
  5. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Not that I'm recommending you build your own ramps. But I'm quite frugal and built my own. I didn't like the prices of the store-bought ones, especially for how flimsy they seemed. I built these in 1996 and for 10 of those years used them to load my full-size Sportsman 500. With me on the back, and loaded down with all the junk I always carry, it probably went 1000 pounds! There are a few 2x4s, 2x6s, 1x2s, and a couple feet of safety chain in them. This is a picture that a fellow ATV club member took of me unloading at one of our poker runs last Fall. Mrs. Quads wearing her best orange hat:
    [​IMG]
  6. Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Britton MI
    I got tri fold aluminm ramps and they work very well with my 2002 kodiac 400. The taller your truck is the longer ramp you need. I got the longest ones I could but sometimes with the snow plow on it catches the frame loading it on my 4x4 F 250.

Billy
  7. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    2x12s with safety chains on the front
  8. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    I got some 88 inch folding aluminum ones. I think they were on sale for $145 I used 2x12's but if I go to pick something up they are a pain. The aluminum ones are easier. Plus they are aluminum so if I leave them out in the elements for a day there is no rust. They strap to the bumper so I do not have to worry about them moving off or slipping, or the tires splitting on them...
  9. flhpi

flhpi Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Ohio
    If you find a deal on the dual aluminum ramps please do not buy them. I have a pair of them and I have used my friends tri-fold aluminum ramps. The tri-fold arched ramps are great. I wish I would have never bought mine. Better than nothing I guess.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.