ATV load ramp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

Feb 28, 2010
Western NY
I have a fairly large ATV I would like to load in the back of my Silverado 1500. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good load ramp? Which brand is the best?

fold away storage would be a plus, longer the better for safer loading, and traction. Thanks

FWIW I like to use the arch style ramps. But some of those are not foldable for storage. You mention a fairly large ATV How about the wheel wells in the bed of the truck??

Tri-fold aluminum . . . folds down relatively small, strong and much safer in my opinion than using two single wheel ramps.

Not that I'm recommending you build your own ramps. But I'm quite frugal and built my own. I didn't like the prices of the store-bought ones, especially for how flimsy they seemed. I built these in 1996 and for 10 of those years used them to load my full-size Sportsman 500. With me on the back, and loaded down with all the junk I always carry, it probably went 1000 pounds! There are a few 2x4s, 2x6s, 1x2s, and a couple feet of safety chain in them. This is a picture that a fellow ATV club member took of me unloading at one of our poker runs last Fall. Mrs. Quads wearing her best orange hat:
025_G.jpg

I got tri fold aluminm ramps and they work very well with my 2002 kodiac 400. The taller your truck is the longer ramp you need. I got the longest ones I could but sometimes with the snow plow on it catches the frame loading it on my 4x4 F 250.

Billy

2x12s with safety chains on the front

I got some 88 inch folding aluminum ones. I think they were on sale for $145 I used 2x12's but if I go to pick something up they are a pain. The aluminum ones are easier. Plus they are aluminum so if I leave them out in the elements for a day there is no rust. They strap to the bumper so I do not have to worry about them moving off or slipping, or the tires splitting on them...

If you find a deal on the dual aluminum ramps please do not buy them. I have a pair of them and I have used my friends tri-fold aluminum ramps. The tri-fold arched ramps are great. I wish I would have never bought mine. Better than nothing I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.