ATV LOGGING EQUIP AND METHODS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, the snow is melting in the woods and I am gearing up for hitting the wood gathering again. I ahd about 10 cord of hardwood piled up for me at a landing when the cut my pine/hemlock..I will start with that, Get it bucked and split , stacked on pallets right there. Is a nice sunny spot.
I would assume that there are gonna be some blowdowns and snaller dia hardwoods that were knocked 1/2 over or leaning that I will need to take care of. I got 300' of logging 3/8" rope a good snatch block and strap for the Honda 450 atv. I ahve that cabelas trailer and built up sides on it so I can buck of the logs in the woods and load into trailer to haul to main landing area to be split and stacked. was thinking about buying a bigger trailer but waht I ahve is really manueverable in the woods and that is what I want. Anyone have any other methods?? I would love to ehar about your setup

I have an old Sears dump trailer (14 cu. ft.) we pull behind the atv. Like yours, it is highly maneuverable in the woods. It doesn't haul a lot, but then, I can't work for long periods anyway so it works for us. This year I hauled somewhere around 60 loads over the winter. Sometimes a load a day and others more. Probably 5 or 6 is the most I've ever done in a day. I also sometimes use a 4 x 6 tilt trailer and can haul almost 1/3 of a cord on it without overloading it or the atv.

I was able to get into the woods when there was just the right amount of snow and I skidded the logs out with my Honda Foreman.
I hitched my come-a-long to the luggage rack on the back and was able to raise the end of the logs enough to get them above the snow. It was quite faster than taking the wood out in my small trailer behind the 4 wheeler. Had to be careful not to bend the rack. I didn't cause as much "damage" to the trails either. Too wet now to do anything.

That sounds like an interesting way to skid logs. I've toyed with building a small dray for skidding logs and moving hunting blinds. Thought I might build them with landscape timbers. Just a short and narrow one to haul one or two logs at a time.

Back woods

I would like to come up with a better arrangement, the current method is can be rough on the rack and the suspension. I try not to skid too much at one time. They have skidders you can tow behind your 4 wheeler, but they are expensive and they look cumbersome for the woods I work in.

Jack, I may build that dray this summer and if it works as I expect it will, I'll send you some plans. I figured I'd build it a little how we used to build them when I was logging. That was many moons ago...

Back woods

I'd like see pictures when the time comes.

jack straw,
got a 5/16 cable that works great for pulling logs out of the woods
be advised:
when you are pulling that log and it breaks thru the ice, nose diving, coming to a sudden stop..... your rack will bend
got something to do in my spare time now................
lol
rustynut

ps - use that hitch

Rusty

I need to get the end of the log off of the snow so I can pull it, if I use the hitch I can't get it off the ground. I tried using the hitch but the logs would plow into the snow and I couldn't pull them. Any Ideas?/thanks

My brother in law in PA has a smashed flat gas tank left by a former owner that he chains under the end of the log when dragging behind his 4-wheeler

They sell skidding cones for that.
rig210_01_500.gif

We use a junk car hood. Hook the chain to the hood latch , short chain the log to that so that the butt is on the hood and away you go. We also have a small log arch with a winch to lift the log . If there is any snow on the ground the car hood come out .

Ncountry said:
We use a junk car hood...
I'm guessing not a late model car. Not much metal in them now.

You could dance on the hood of the old cars. I've seen an old hood used for a stone boat too.

backwoods,
Was doing a little looking around for skidders and such and noticed that you were looking to build one over the summer. Wondering if you had gotten around to it ? Maybe willing to share the plans ?
rn

I made one tonight dinking around in the shop. Kinda crude . Slips over the ball & clamps to the rack.
Locked to the rack so i have no rear suspension when it's on.
I put some weight on the front rack, so it won't lift the front end off the ground. (specially up hills)
The ball carries the weight & the rack pulls, so not perfect. I noticed if you can get the front of the log up, not allot of pull needed.
Will let you know how it works, maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

• 102_4156.jpg
    102_4156.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 627
Hi -

I made ym "Skidding Cone" from a discarded swimming pool filter housing. Just ask the fellows at the local pool store for a look at the junk they are thowing away. Mine is black plastic about 20" in diameter and was 30" tall. I emptied the remaining sand, cut the top off with the Sawz All. Then I drilled a 1" hole in the center of the rounded bottom. Passed a chain heavy rope though the hole and that's it. It prevents log but from catching on roots, and small gullys.

ATB,
Mike

Seemed to work OK.
Better than hooking to the rack.
Better than dragging hooked on the ball, it got stuck allot.
Going up hill I had to lean forward, Much easier on the machine this way.
If I had more big ones, I'd add some air to the rear tires.

Attachments

• 102_4165.jpg
    102_4165.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 480
  • 102_4169.jpg
    102_4169.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 875
  • 102_4174.jpg
    102_4174.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 487
rustynut said:
backwoods,
Was doing a little looking around for skidders and such and noticed that you were looking to build one over the summer. Wondering if you had gotten around to it ? Maybe willing to share the plans ?
rn

Rusty, I still have not gotten around to building the drey but have been thinking more on it. Perhaps I should try to get the plans on paper as they are just in my head. In my logging days and sawmill days we just cut some poles (we used about an 8-10") for the skids. We had 3 cross members bolted onto the skids. Also we fastened chains on both sides of the skids so we could bind the load on. Up front we bolted more chain on for hooking onto the tractor for pulling. Not sure if you can picture that or not.

It is still on my to-do list and I'm thinking I have some logs that I'd like to skid out so perhaps I shall build a small one. For that I plan on using landscape timbers for the skids or runners. Naturally the front of the skids will be sawed at an angle so as not to cut into the ground. I'm thinking perhaps 4 cross members rather than 3 but will have to see how solid it is and go from there. I'll try keep you and Jack posted.

bws,
broke thru the ice last year and came to a screaching hault. guess you can figure out what happened to my atv rack. Looking for something to get the nose up. Probably keep the logs a bit cleaner as well. Mostly pulling on ice but that spring storm last year dropped 20-30 right in the yard that could have been pulled in the back if i had some wheels. I'll be watching and keep looking as well.
thanks
rn

bogydave I like that field expedient arch-like set up in the middle pic.

Does it stress the rack..cause that would seem to be the weak link it that otherwise clever set up. When we first got our 4wheeler I gave some thought about cobbling up a tripod-like mini arch orbiting the tow hitch and on both sides of the pumpkin on the axle. Then forgot about until I just saw your clever mod.

btw that looks a lot like our Suzuki Eiger.

savageactor7 said:
bogydave I like that field expedient arch-like set up in the middle pic.

Does it stress the rack..cause that would seem to be the weak link it that otherwise clever set up. When we first got our 4wheeler I gave some thought about cobbling up a tripod-like mini arch orbiting the tow hitch and on both sides of the pumpkin on the axle. Then forgot about until I just saw your clever mod.

btw that looks a lot like our Suzuki Eiger.

No doubt there is some stress on the rack, but not near as much if i just hooked it to the rack & pulled.
Most of he down force is on the ball & hitch, forward pull force on the rack.
The wood should hold up to any thing I could man handle to hook up. I think the weak link is still the rack material & the screws that hold the 4X4s between the 2 - 2X4s
The rack shouldn't bend down, the stop block is about 10" so any down force is transfered to the hitch.
I worry most about the forward force bending the rack back.

Bogy

How do you get the end of log up in the air. I use a come-along hooked to the rack, but I have the same concerns you do. Maybe I could make a similar bracket and encorporate my come-along. I do like your idea.

Jack Straw said:
Bogy

How do you get the end of log up in the air. I use a come-along hooked to the rack, but I have the same concerns you do. Maybe I could make a similar bracket and encorporate my come-along. I do like your idea.

I don't "get it up in the air". When I hook to it, it's usually on the ground straight below the hook up point, as I pull forward, the front lifts up before it starts to move.

My brother has one of the ATV logging hoops, it would be hard to beat. Bascially you chain the front end of the log to the hoop and slowly drive away. The hoop flips up and lifts the log end off the ground. He has moved some very impressive logs with it. The hoop ties onto the tow hitch of the ATV, so he is not very worreid about overstressgin anything. He has a home made wood box that sets on top of the hoop in the horizontal conditions when he isnt using the hoop. Supposed a lot of this ATV gear was designed up in New Brunswick for poaching curly maples off of crown land.

So the log elevates itself when you pull ahead...huh! OK thanks for skinny a little tweaking and that could have a lot of potential...good thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.