1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

atv utility trailer recommendations

Post in 'The Gear' started by dvellone, Jul 31, 2011.

1. dvellone

dvellone Feeling the Heat

I'm looking to buy a trailer for hauling out firewood with my atv and would appreciate hearing what your experiences and reviews are of specific models.

My terrain is pretty rough and uneven. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The Poly ones are nice. Go for a wider and larger tire (More weight & better stability) Zapny has one that has taken a lot of abuse and hauled many a cord of wood, over rough terrain. Hopefully he can give you his overall review.

I have an old standard Black Box (15 cu ft) that can be bought at any store (HD, Lowes, Wal-Mart). Works well. Also have a 4 wheeled garden cart, that has 4 sides that are removable. Holds 500lbs. That works well for around the house. Going in rough terrain, it wouldn't work so well.
  3. Catspaw

Catspaw New Member

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
  4. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I got this Ohio Steel Poly dump cart 1250 lbs capacity, high clearance, atv style tires and it is cheap $299, I got it for $100 on Ebay because of a UPS shipping damage to a box. Well worth the money, I have been impressed.
    http://www.ohiosteelatv.com/atvcarts.htm

By the way they have these at Home Depot online with free shipping and Northern tool. If you look at the ratings they are high. I like that it will not rust and the dump feature has been handy.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I've always had my cousin fab up whatever trailers I need since he is a professional welder and has put together some pretty great trailers. My favorite ATV trailer that he has built has a walking beam suspension and a lifting arm to dump the trailer when our ATV Club uses it to haul gravel.

That said . . . if I was to buy a commercial ATV trailer I would give a long, hard look at the one that Backwoods Savage has since it looks wicked good.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    For rough and uneven ground, this trailer works excellently. It has wide tires so works great in soft ground too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also get this with a tandem axle.

They are for sale many places so here is just one link:

trailer
  7. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    I got this at Tractor Supply. It is made by Ohio Steel, but is plastic. So far so good, but it hasn't had a lot of use.

Tom

Attached Files:

8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Whatever you get, I would recomend it have sealed BEARINGS in the wheel hubs rather than just plain greasable bushings. Bushings work fine for low speed, behind the lawn/gardentractor use but for ATV use the bearings will give better durability and longevity.
  9. JDC1

JDC1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio

I use this to get my rounds out of the woods. I can stack it high with bigger rounds and the area that I cut wood is pretty hilly. It does great. It also holds a ton of splits and when full is balanced enough to move easily by hand. I looked at some of the $600 trailers but at half the price I could not pass this one up.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Are you sure you could haul 2,000 pounds of wood in that trailer?
  11. JDC1

JDC1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    A ton in this case means alot or in my case 3 days worth of splits
  12. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Gottcha. I just took it literally. Sorry about that.
  13. dvellone

I do like the looks and pricing of both the yutrax cart and the ohio steel 20 cubic ' cart.

I'm wondering if the ohio steel cart is more prone to tipping since it looks like the wheels are centered under the bed, while the yutrax wheels are to either side of it's bed.

Though I'd be hauling some fill and the solid sides of the ohio steel cart is appealing in that regard, it's primary use would be for firewood and my terrain and trails are pretty uneven.
  14. JDC1

JDC1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    The wheels are on the outside of the bed on the ohio steel trailer. I really like the ground clearance it had. It is just barely wider than my quad (sportsman 450) and has had no stability issues. The toungue design actually pivots.
  15. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I have never had a tip with the Ohio Steel either. For the price it is hard to beat, I happened to get a great deal. I have not tried adding the side rails and see no use for a divider for my use. I am sure it would hold alot (1/2 ton) if you have the ATV to pull it.
  16. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    The Ohio Steel is 12.5 cubic ft and rated at 1250 lbs. for $300. 1250LBS seamed like a stretch to me but I loaded with rounds well above the sides. I don't know what weight I had in it, but it had no problem going thru very rocky woods. The tries are large and sit wider than the cart, making it very stable. The wheel bearings are greasable roller bearings. It's light enough that I have it hung on my garage wall. My only concern was with the plastic becoming brittle from long term exposure to sun light, UV. But since I store it inside it shouldn't be an issue for a long time. Sears has a smaller version which looks similar, but it's much lighter construction. I have always had metal trailers but for $300 I gave this a try.

Tom
  17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

This saved my arse last winter and do the majority of my hauling with it.

http://www.rescraft.com/trailers.html

zap
  18. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Zap, you should have got the camo version so the deer wouldn't spot you out in the woods. But then, maybe you'd lose it....
  19. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I've lost it for sure................ and it's not the trailer! :eek:hh:

zap
  20. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

I'm liking the looks of this one more and more since it sits so low. It looks like you can just about roll a round into yours with very little lifting. The JD cart I have works great for hauling split wood but I don't want to be lifting rounds as high as the JD cart requires anymore.
  21. bpirger

bpirger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ithaca NY Area
    How do the poly trailers hold up to the abuse of throwing wood, especially when cold? Do they get really brittle in the winter? I have a so-called 1500 pound metal utility wagon. If I load it up, I usually get flat tires....no bearings, and I agree....you want bearings....and generally have beaten the life out of it I think.

Now I use the winch behind the tractor and drag a couple of trees to the woodshed....it really is sweet.
  22. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Your not going to see a capacity upgrade as most of the poly carts I've seen (Including mine) top out at 7-800 lbs. They take rough landings just fine however. :cheese:
  23. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I have one of these.
    http://www.swisherinc.com/dump_cart.asp

I really like it. It has sqaure tubing for the tongue, not c-channel like the other one I was looking at at TSC. I don't know if I've hit the 700 lb load capacity, but it's very well balanced and has almost no tongue weight when loaded. It's also low to the ground, which makes it easy to load big rounds. I've been going to put some extensions on the sides, but haven't done it yet. The 1 7/8" coupler sucks. I put a 2" on it to match my splitter.
    Also, tires are nice and wide, and glance off trees in the woods if you can't turn wide enough. I wish I could do that with the big truck I drive every day :ahhh:
  24. dvellone

25. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Interesting how the tandem version retains the same 1500# load rating. Looks to be a great trailer!