ATVs for Snaking Logs Out of the Woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hondas don't have any locking differential front or back. They have a true limited split. Don't be fooled though about a locker..... I used to ride with a bunch of guys that had machines with lockers and I went everywhere they did, and then some! It's
Iike anything else, it's how the machine is ridden, plain and simple! I knew a few people that put lockers in their Hondas and then removed them after a while. They said it wasn't worth the bad and hard ride.

Trust me ATVs were and are a passion of mine, there's nothing better then spending a day out on the trail when time permits.

Craig

Reminds me of a ride I was on a couple of years ago.

One guy had a brand spanking new 700cc . . . or maybe it was even larger . . . Polaris Sportsman . . . his girlfriend's kid had a beat up 2WD Honda Recon I think . . . maybe 250 cc.

Anyways we got into this hellaciously muddy and water area. There were a few places were that larger machine (which generally did pretty well) would get stuck and the kid would just drive around him . . . it was so light that he was literally bouncing and floating through the mud hole . . . would hit the bottom of the puddle, get traction and move forward and then it would bounce/float and then hit the bottom again. Quite funny to see the kid literally driving circles around the bigger machine.

Jake,

I've ridden with young bucks like that and its a blast watching them tackle any and all challenges! Thats the beauty of riding in a group, you get so many different machines you can actually see which ones go and which ones don't. Many of the "no goes" I have seen are Polaris machines. Many people love them for mudding, but they just don't hold up to the abuse.

In the picture below I am on the machine trying to get it out of the hole. The other two machines, one Honda and the other an Artic Cat both had lockers......go figure!!

I've since gotten older and wiser!!

Craig

Attachments

• Tri County 9-21-03 046.jpg
    Tri County 9-21-03 046.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 4,810
Reactions: WiscWoody
Jake,

I've ridden with young bucks like that and its a blast watching them tackle any and all challenges! Thats the beauty of riding in a group, you get so many different machines you can actually see which ones go and which ones don't. Many of the "no goes" I have seen are Polaris machines. Many people love them for mudding, but they just don't hold up to the abuse.

In the picture below I am on the machine trying to get it out of the hole. The other two machines, one Honda and the other an Artic Cat both had lockers......go figure!!

I've since gotten older and wiser!!

Craig
You forgot to tell us what you are riding?

You forgot to tell us what you are riding?

I had a 2001 Honda Rubicon. At one time it had a 2" lift kit, 3000 lb Warn Winch and 26" IPT Mud Lites. That combo there was a rough riding machine. My buddies called it "Sherman" because it would be the first one in the mud and the last one out!

Many good times, and the best thing was.....the machine never once in over 4000 hard miles broke down on me!

That machine made many trips to Hatfield McCoy trails in West Virginia for a week at a time, and always brought me and itself home in one piece.

Craig

Reactions: WiscWoody
Honda invented the ATC as they called it some time ago. I'm from Minnesota and Cats and Polaris are institutions there but I wanted reliable no frills so I chose a Honda. It's hard starting in our cold winters but I have it figured out now with a battery maintainer, hotter plug, priming the carb and I just ordered a heater pad for the engine. It's damned cold up here so it's just understood!

Jake,

. . .

Craig

That's been my experience as well . . . even had a buddy who we would razz about his Polaris . . . and he would give it right back . . . until the day he sold it and then he admitted that he was disappointed with the reliability issues. He did ride it hard though.

Lots of Polaris ATVs in my neck of the woods . . . mostly because of the price point, plush ride (they really are one of the most comfortable riding ATVs) and the local shop only sells Polaris ATVs.

One other thing I will say though . . . OK, two things . . . the reliability has come up quite a bit since Polaris ATVs early days and Polaris is often at the forefront of newer tech and innovations which Honda has always been reluctant or slow to adopt (i.e. IRS, power steering, side by sides, disc brakes, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.