Auger Bearing Cleaning Brush - See pics of Big E auger service - auger jam fix!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Question
Should this be done
A. Once per year?
B. Once every two years?
C. Once every 3 years?
D. Only when the auger jams up alot?
E. Never - Just buy a new stove after 4 or 5 years?

I am refurbishing a Breckwell Big E and fixed a Big E auger jam recently. The stove that I am rebuilding, I could pull out the auger by had after removing the 2 nuts on the top bushing under the auger cover. The auger in the stove with the auger jam was so stuck I had to bang the end of the auger with a rubber mallet to push the auger up and out! Both stoves had gummed up dirty auger bearings in the top and bottom of the auger!

See pic of ring around the bushing. I hate those dirty rings!

Harbor freight has a brass color round brush (That works the best) that attaches to the drill driver just perfect for cleaning brass bearings!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-heater-1195-00-salem-nh.126213/#post-1694777

Cleaning the auger with a wire wheel and then spraying with "Dry Moly" gives it a finishing touch. Adding some light oil to the bearings before putting the auger back in really makes it turn like butter!

Put in a new Auger motor and bingo!

Now the stove is burning well even on Level 1 and not jammin!
See pics below. Click to Enlarge

Pic 1 - Pulling auger up and out.
Pic 2 - Auger chute - found two drops of sharp slag. Auger Pox! I had to grind them down and stove will work better than ever!
Pic 3 - Dirty auger shaft and bearing
Pic 4 - Dirty auger bearing
Pic 5 - Nice brass drill driver brush for auger bearing cleaning!
Pic 6 - Clean bearing
Pic 7 - Cleaning auger and then chute
Pic 8 - Auger with Dry Moly and clean bearing with oil
Pic 9 - Adding oil to bottom auger bearing

Attachments

• BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (1).JPG
    BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (1).JPG
    223 KB · Views: 1,540
  • BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (2).JPG
    BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (2).JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 904
  • BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (3).JPG
    BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (3).JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 813
  • BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (4).JPG
    BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (4).JPG
    124 KB · Views: 759
  • BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (5).JPG
    BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (5).JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 758
  • BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (6).JPG
    BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (6).JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 724
  • BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (7).JPG
    BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (7).JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 757
  • BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (8).JPG
    BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (8).JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 764
  • BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (9).JPG
    BreckwellBigESuperAugerService (9).JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
Reactions: Owen1508
Don do you coat the complete auger?I have been and think it makes a difference,esp. with fines.
I did not coat where it goes into the bearings on the top and bottom but yes I coated all the fins and shaft in the cork screw part.

Nice, never done one...something to look at this summer!

Only took me a couple of hours. Then you can see the difference right away as you use it!

Don do you coat the complete auger?I have been and think it makes a difference,esp. with fines.

I Bob and Don, when you take the auger cover off your austroflam Integra and other brand stoves , is this the only area you spray this product?
How often do you coat these areas ? Never used this product but seems I should be.

Thanks

I Bob and Don, when you take the auger cover off your austroflam Integra and other brand stoves , is this the only area you spray this product?
How often do you coat these areas ? Never used this product but seems I should be.

Thanks
I take out auger and spray bushings once a year.Older bushings were bronze,replacements appear to be sintered iron,so soaking them in oil does not last that long.During the season,if stove runs low will pull cover and spray auger.Also spray hopper,helps pellets slide.This winter,have been spraying firepot when I clean It,appears that ash sticks a lot less,easier to clean,especially the holes.Trouble is it is expensive(are not all good things)I have been using moly on cars/trucks for years,good stuff.Could not find crc last time,got lps,appears to have a higher temp. Works good on gaskets tokeep them from sticking also.

Hello

I use Slip Plate on the Hopper it seems to be made just for it. :)

Attachments

• SlipPlate.jpg
    SlipPlate.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 367
  • SlipPlateOnA25-PDVhopper1before (1).JPG
    SlipPlateOnA25-PDVhopper1before (1).JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 435
  • SlipPlateOnA25-PDVhopper2after (2).JPG
    SlipPlateOnA25-PDVhopper2after (2).JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 400
Reactions: ZBrooks
Bob and Don,
Thanks thats great info. Bob, like all your suggestions .Even the burn pot. I use a brass wire brush on my daily. Just a quick brush down. I'm gonna try that for sure. Plus yearly maintenance on the auger bushings .
Don : your pictures made me laugh. Your hopper is working perfectly ! My hopper needs some Molly or the Slip Plate that you and Bob , advise.. I can;t wait to try it. I want my pellets to slide down so wonderfully ! Going to order this week.

Thanks

Bob and Don,
Thanks thats great info. Bob, like all your suggestions .Even the burn pot. I use a brass wire brush on my daily. Just a quick brush down. I'm gonna try that for sure. Plus yearly maintenance on the auger bushings .
Don : your pictures made me laugh. Your hopper is working perfectly ! My hopper needs some Molly or the Slip Plate that you and Bob , advise.. I can;t wait to try it. I want my pellets to slide down so wonderfully ! Going to order this week.

Thanks
When it is cold I sometimes do not shut down for 2 weeks.Just turn stove back,wait for it to slow down,scrape some of pot out to sides and turn back up.

Hello

Question
Should this be done
A. Once per year?
B. Once every two years?
C. Once every 3 years?
D. Only when the auger jams up alot?
E. Never - Just buy a new stove after 4 or 5 years?

I am refurbishing a Breckwell Big E and fixed a Big E auger jam recently. The stove that I am rebuilding, I could pull out the auger by had after removing the 2 nuts on the top bushing under the auger cover. The auger in the stove with the auger jam was so stuck I had to bang the end of the auger with a rubber mallet to push the auger up and out! Both stoves had gummed up dirty auger bearings in the top and bottom of the auger!

See pic of ring around the bushing. I hate those dirty rings!

Harbor freight has a brass color round brush (That works the best) that attaches to the drill driver just perfect for cleaning brass bearings!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-heater-1195-00-salem-nh.126213/#post-1694777

Cleaning the auger with a wire wheel and then spraying with "Dry Moly" gives it a finishing touch. Adding some light oil to the bearings before putting the auger back in really makes it turn like butter!

Put in a new Auger motor and bingo!

Now the stove is burning well even on Level 1 and not jammin!
See pics below. Click to Enlarge

Pic 1 - Pulling auger up and out.
Pic 2 - Auger chute - found two drops of sharp slag. Auger Pox! I had to grind them down and stove will work better than ever!
Pic 3 - Dirty auger shaft and bearing
Pic 4 - Dirty auger bearing
Pic 5 - Nice brass drill driver brush for auger bearing cleaning!
Pic 6 - Clean bearing
Pic 7 - Cleaning auger and then chute
Pic 8 - Auger with Dry Moly and clean bearing with oil
Pic 9 - Adding oil to bottom auger bearing
Need to know how to remove auger on big e please help thanks kinglew

Need to know how to remove auger on big e please help thanks kinglew
Hello
The auger in the Big E is removed from inside the Hopper.
1. Remove auger cover bolts and auger cover
2. Remove 2 nuts at top of auger hold in plate and pull down plate.
3. Pull top of auger up out of auger chute, remove auger by pounding auger base from in back of stove.

Hello
The auginfor in the Big E is removed from inside the Hopper.
1. Remove auger cover bolts and auger cover
2. Remove 2 nuts at top of auger hold in plate and pull down plate.
3. Pull top of auger up out of auger chute, remove auger by pounding auger base from in back of stove.
Thanks for help auger jam try to unjam auger thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.