Auger bushing grease?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakII

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Noise from our auger just about drove me crazy at the end of last season. Replacement of bushing doesn't look like an option without a major rebuild on the stove (St. Croix Greenfield) The busing is part of an assembly that is bolted in and welded also.
I have it tore down, am going to clean up the auger and the busing with some emery and a dowel on an drill. What grease should I use a good high temp ep (synthetic?) or I have some ceramic based never seize?

The bushing at the top end of the auger looks like it is part of the bottom of the hopper that is bolted and welded in. Sounds like good grease for this app though.

My upper auger bushing comes off with the auger but doesn't sound like your that lucky...

St Croix upper bushings usually dry out before bottom ones due to heat and have seen stoves with seized augers (tough to remove!)

I usually polish where auger rides in bushing if there are deposits on shaft then put synthetic oil on tip of shaft and place back in chute to lube upper bushing. Repeat this a couple times until bushing is well coated with oul. Usually these brass bushings are porous so they hold oil.

For a bit of added lube i place a small amount of high temp grease on tip of auger so it melts into upper bushing over time. Seems to work well for me, as in lasts several years without additional servicing.

Good advice thanks. I think I'll polish up bushing and shaft as planned then oil up the bushing with some Super Lube synthetic oil either on the shaft or on a long cotton swab. Then reassemble with a small amount of high temp synthetic grease or some graphite on the end of the auger shaft. Stove is 10 or 11 years old so I guess I can't complain too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.