Auger feed setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chasabel

Feb 22, 2009
South Central Penna

I have just purchased a Whitfield Profile 30-2 pellet stove, and it seems very likely from the attached picture that the auger feed setting needs adjusting.
At the bottom of the control panel there is what looks like a reset button with/Calibration ~ v below, then (test jacks?) Common, Auger, Conv. fan, Comb. fan.
Is this where the auger feed speed is set? And if so what does it take to adjust the auger feed speed?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• DSC01636.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,262
Your picture is quite horrifying. I hope I can help even if in a small way.

The button, if you press it once, will put the stove in calibration mode. There are two of these modes, for flame and for fan. The first mode is for fuel. You will see a "Calib" in red appear. The flame gauge will change to a single bar. You can then press the flame level button to move that single illuminated bar up. When you get to the top and keep going it will start again at the bottom. It appears that if you put the single bar at the bottom, that represents the minimum setting. Press the calibration button again and the fan display will change to a single bar, where can play with the blower adjust button the same way. Press the calibration button a third time to get out of calibration mode.

I haven't found this calibration mode very helpful, however. I have a bit of the problem you are having with the same stove, but your problem is over the top in more ways than one. The control box may be faulty. Have you contacted the dealer? Some dealers are helpful. If you just bought this stove there should be some warranty coverage if parts are faulty.

On the other hand, make sure the damper is all the way open. And make sure the exhaust pipe is 4 inches in diameter if it is corrugated and if it runs more than 15 feet.

Wrong pellets? I should have thought of that! I have been struggling with four tons of wrong pellets since the heating season began. Admittedly, my problem never got to the state that your picture shows, and it took me a while to realize that wrong pellets can make you make you wonder why anyone would be so foolish as to buy a pellet stove.

But you have hit on an important point. Pellets, even those labeled "Premium" are not created equal. Indeed the "premium" label means nothing at all. It does have a definition, but that doesn't stop the mercenary snake oil, uh, contaminated sawdust, uh, "wood pellet" hawkers from trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. The best thing, I have found, is to take advantage of the dealers who will assemble a package of multiple brands so you can find out out how each behaves in your stove.

But this opens another question. The wrong pellets may be made from the wrong source. There are multi-fuel stoves that can handle corn as well as nut shells. It is important to note what the stove is designed for.

Anyway it is good to know your stove can digest what you are feeding it now.

Stove Goon - It appears you are describing how to set the "heat" and "blower" buttons on the control panel but "firestarter" is asking about the controls behind the drop down door at the bottom of the control panel. I have the same problem with my Whitfield Profile 30. Pellets just keep coming before the first are completely burned and it builds up and overflows. As it piles up on the bottom of the chamber, it catches and smolders. I'm concerned because it isn't designed to burn outside the burn pot and I don't want to burn through the floor of the chamber. I bought it off Craigslist used. I live in rural Virginia and can't find a qualified Whitfield technician to work on it so I'm trying to figure it out myself. It was installed by a pellet stove technician who is not Whitfield or Lennox qualified but is knowledgeable in the correct way to install a pellet stove. The damper is opened all the way, I have dismantled, according to the manual, and cleaned ash out of every nook and cranny, sucked ash out the exhaust pipe with my leaf blower on vacuum, tried two kinds of pellets and I'm at the point I want to try changing the auger speed. Can anyone explain what to do when you open the drop down door at the bottom of the control panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.