Auger Grinding Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently burning Northern by Lauzon pellets - the ones with the Black Bear on the front of the bag. I have burned about 65 bags so far this season and I have been happy with them so far. I have encountered a few bags that had some water penetration somewhere along the line as evidenced by some "puffed up" pellets in the bag. The ratio of puffed pellets to normal pellets in these few bags was relatively small, and they seemed to burn without issue.

The other day I opened a bag to fill the hopper and I noticed that the pellets were extremely dark colored, whereas all previous bags (and I burned these some last year) where always very light in color. I didn't think too much about it, and I just filled the hopper. I did notice that there were not very many longer pellets in this bag either, mostly short pieces.

I little while later I heard the auger make the sort of grinding-squeeking noise it makes occasionally as it cuts a pellet, and I didn't think too much about it. It usually makes that noise 2 or 3 times a day, and is normal. Then I heard it again a few minutes later, then again, and again, and again... I came in to the room and watched for a while, and I noticed that it was making this noise every time the auger came on, and the noise was louder and lasted longer than it usually does. I let it go, and burned about half the bag until I couldn't take it anymore.

I was starting to think there might be something wrong with the auger, or that something was stuck in there. I ran down to the basement and grabbed another bag and cut it open... this one was all light colored pellets as usual. I decided to take a plastic cup and scoop out the remaining half bag of dark colored pellets and then put a few scoops of the lighter ones that I just opened in. Within 5 minutes (after the last of those dark colored pellets ran through) the noise stopped.

Has anyone else experienced this? And I am wondering what it was about these that made the noise... is it due to the shorter length or the darker color... and what would make the pellets a darker color? Where they over heated when they were manufactured and compressed, or could it just be a different type of wood? They actually do look a little burnt in a way, and feel somewhat harder than the normal lighter colored ones. See the picture below for a sample of each... So far I have only encountered one bag like this... any thoughts?

Attachments

• Northern_Pellets.jpg
    Northern_Pellets.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 321
I have had some grinding when going from a longer hardwood pellet to a shorter softwood. But it happens occasionally and only for a short time.
I have also noticed it will happen if I grab a bag that has been in cold garage and not allowed to warm up. Again, only the softwood, shorter pellets will do this.
Currently, I bring in the bags and let them sit for at least half a day...no noises.

DAKSY said:
Looks like softwood on the left & hardwood on the right.
I don't see anything wrong with either one...

That's interesting, because the bags say 100% Northern Hardwood Pellets and they are normally all light in color as shown in the cup on the left, which you identify as possible softwood. All I know is that the darker pellets in the cup on the right, which are the same brand, were definitely causing the auger noise. I think it is the shorter length that was the culprit. I am just curious why they are so different than every other bag I've burned so far. I'll probably just mix them in with the good stuff and burn em up! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.