Auger intermittent noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammypoodle

Jul 11, 2008
new hampshire
Hi, I recently put in a pellet stove insert. It is extremely quiet and works very well. My only issue is that when the auger motor rotates sometimes it makes a loud creaking noise. Since the auger motor cycles on/off several times a minute, most of the time you cannot hear it. At least once every minute or two it will make a loud sound, maybe crushing a pellet? Any ideas on how to keep it quiet all the time? I did notice the pellets that I have are very "dusty" and I am new to the pellet world so I have nothing else to compare it to. I have also heard graphite can help quite the motor down, (that wont burn, or catch fire?). Now since it is an insert I am sure the sound gets amplified from the sheet metal. Can you put insulation around the insert in the fireplace? I have alot of empty space there. Thank you.

If it is a bottom feeder scrape out the end of the feed tube. My Harman insert builds up crud in the last 1 inch of the tube and around the end. I have to chip it out once a week

Status
Not open for further replies.