auger issues help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moralleper

Aug 24, 2006
Kalama, WA
My ancient breckwell 24 auger jammed last night but continued to run, proof of fire snap disk is out, all night. I cleared the jam and can trun the auger manually with a wrench but the motor clicks on but cannot turn it. I am guessing the motor gears are shot since it was trying to turn all night. Any ideas before I through this thing in the river and buy a real pellet stove :)

thanks in advance,

Tim

moralleper said:
My ancient breckwell 24 auger jammed last night but continued to run, proof of fire snap disk is out, all night. I cleared the jam and can trun the auger manually with a wrench but the motor clicks on but cannot turn it. I am guessing the motor gears are shot since it was trying to turn all night. Any ideas before I through this thing in the river and buy a real pellet stove :)

thanks in advance,

Tim
Advice........ get a new gearmotor......... And save some cash :cheese:
When you unjammed it did you disconnect the auger from the motor? Cause if one cranks on the output side of a gearbox it will most likely fail the gearing inside.
If it is disconnected then I would think your auger should turn without the use of a wrench...

Hey Breckwell guy's are these thermally protected motors?

the stove is 17 years old and was free except for the fan I replaced, so I think it is time. as far as work on it. I disconnected the motor and I can turn the auger fine. the motor will not even spin by itself if just clicks and humms then clicks.

yeah the motor is gone. Replace it or like you mentioned replace the stove. 17 years is a fine lifetime for a pellet stove and alot of times when one component goes on a stove that old others will follow.

moralleper said:
the stove is 17 years old and was free except for the fan I replaced, so I think it is time. as far as work on it. I disconnected the motor and I can turn the auger fine. the motor will not even spin by itself if just clicks andhumms then clicks.

Pull the motor and take it to your local Granger's .
Have the counter guy give you a replacement .
If they want an account just give them your current
employers name and address and pay them cash and the tax.
That will save you $100 or so over getting it from a stove dealer.
They should have the hi and lo limit disk as well so get them while
you are there.

Well depending on where you live and what you use for primary heat, I would think $75-$100 for a motor would be a good investment this time of year, unless this is supplemental heat....
Out side here it 3* with a wind chill of about -18* and my stove is primary heat so if I was to blow a gearmotor at this time of year I'd be buying the motor and then thinking about a new stove maybe in April.
I thought this was an URGENT topic..... Sorry

17 years old? good run for an auger motor, try to get same motor if possible,if its that old and just now died i'd want another one just like it. also if that sensor is a snap disk, they are pretty standardized just gotta get specs off the old one to get replacement, they are "dime a dozen" and there isnt much difference from maker to maker

Sorry for the delay in response I was working on the stove. luckly it is only getting to the mid 30s at night here and mid to upper 40s in the day time. It is pretty urgent as this is my only heat source in my house. I came home from work and dismantled the stove and the motor is definitely shot. you can feel the gears slipping inside. the auger shaft is also pretty mangled. it is twisted like the motor torqued pretty good. I have been looking at stove for a while now. My wife gave me the okay to go get a new stove tomorrow as she is pregnant and cold and does not want me to throw anymore money at fixing this stove up. I am getting a Quadrafie SantaFe tomorrow unless someone can suggest a better stove for the $2000 or less range. thanks,

as for replacing the auger, I called a few dealers and they all said that finding a replacement motor for this is tough as the rpm is different the newer ones. the new ones require a new control board and a new auger, and making the hole in the metal larger to take the digital board. all said and done I am looking at $700-$900 to fix it.

Tim

what rpm is it and what direction does it turn, may match one of ours

EDIT: quad santa fe is a quality unit, would serve ya well, several good units out there, ours included, depends on what ya want size, looks and features. the guys in here may be able to suggest other options as well based on what they have or carry also.

Sounds like a good decision ML. With a new bairn on the way, you'll have your hands full and want to be 100% with the family. Enjoy the new stove and congrats on the future fatherhood.

Run over to Lowe's and
grab the pellet stove on sale for $800.

You could put those guts in your stove and
have a new unit or just use it as is .
It is not really that ugly and works wonderfully.

This brings me back to an old subject that I brought up a while ago..
Why don't manufactures protect the auger motors, or if they do what do they use.....
Mike what does England do?
Quad guy's, Breckwell guy's etc.....

homefire said:
Run over to Lowe's and
grab the pellet stove on sale for $800.

You could put those guts in your stove and
have a new unit or just use it as is .
It is not really that ugly and works wonderfully.

nice thought , but the guts in the lowes stoves arent compatible with his unit motors maybe, but the augers are different , i posted about the motor s we carry of which one may work depending on the rpm's ane voltage levels of course they heat rather well and have a pretty solid track record as far as holding up mechanically

GVA said:
This brings me back to an old subject that I brought up a while ago..
Why don't manufactures protect the auger motors, or if they do what do they use.....
Mike what does England do?
Quad guy's, Breckwell guy's etc.....
from what im told the motors we use are thermal impedance protected. as are the blowers

Well my wife came with me to the dealertoday and I have a new stove sitting on my trailer. I will be installing it tomorrow. The only downfall is I had to buy it from a dealerthat was 40 miles away. He said that for service I would have to pay a per mileage charge but that it okay, I would rather do that then buy from the dealerthat is 10 miles away. The dealerthat is closer is a real jerk. thanks, I will let you all know how the install goes, and of course it will accompany pics!!! :)

kool moral, about the old stove , let me know if you want to try to repair it , i might be able to offer a few tips. im not familiar with that brand , but i know pellet stoves in general pretty well, been building them for 15 years

Thanks, I plan on taking a look at it when it warms up a little outside and my honey do list dwindles.

Status
Not open for further replies.