Auger jam trick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Maybe others here have done this, I've now had a few times now with good success.

I've gotten a few auger jams for excessive fines buildup in my insert. My hopper is hard to get into.

Take your shop vac and empty it. Put a large trash bag inside then close the vac cover. Take the large 2" size hose and after removing as many pellets as you can manually out of the hopper, use the shop vac to suck out all down to the auger base. Then stick your arm in and feed the vacuum right down to the top of the auger. It cleans all the sawdust out and back sucks all the pellets in the auger so it cleans the whole thing out.

You can toss what's in the shop vac it will be less than a 1/4 of a bag loss. and will be full of sawdust.

Reactions: vinny11950
I do the same thing but don't use the bag. Just get the big dry vac out, fill her up, then shift a couple times into 5 gal buckets and back in the hopper it goes. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.