Auger Jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
I started up my Astoria late sunday night and have had it on and off since. In that time period I have had 4 jams. All at the top of the chute. I get these occasionally maybe once or twice a season.. ten times when I burned freedom fuel pellets (impossibly long pellets). But the pellets in the hopper are dry creek and are average size... the only difference is they have been in the hopper since last winter.. is there a connection?

The pellets may have absorbed moisture from the air while sitting in the hopper all summer, swelling some of them just enough that they aren't fitting the way they should. You can scoop the old pellets out, vacuum the hopper and auger really well, add a bag of fresh, dry pellets and see if that fixes the problem.

I started up my Astoria late sunday night and have had it on and off since. In that time period I have had 4 jams. All at the top of the chute. I get these occasionally maybe once or twice a season.. ten times when I burned freedom fuel pellets (impossibly long pellets). But the pellets in the hopper are dry creek and are average size... the only difference is they have been in the hopper since last winter.. is there a connection?

Also use some spray graphite on the hopper sheet mental and a few drops of oil on the brass auger bearing next to the auger shaft. That should help some too! Heck you could even pull the auger and try coating the auger shaft with dry moly spray. then let us know how it works out.

I just tried coating the Astoria blowers with dry moly spray this year to prevent buildup.
See my video here. :) Good Luck.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...on-blower-impellers-to-prevent-buildup.91664/

Attachments

• ConvectionBlowerDryMoly.jpg
    ConvectionBlowerDryMoly.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 230
Also, the avalon had a flap on the pellet drop that was recalled. You may remove it now. I had my auger jam and removed the flap, no issues in 2 years since. I posted some pics here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-avalon-astoria-pics-inside-3-weeks-later.61958/#post-61958 towards the bottom.

X2, I removed my flapper also. Travis has a TSB that recommends removing it.

Quickrch. How is the paint on your Astoria? My Astoria is going into it's 4th season. I repainted the firebox which really needed it! Looks much better now. The outside looks ok, but definitely faded some from the heat. I know a some new Stove Bright would "pimp my ride" !

X2, I removed my flapper also. Travis has a TSB that recommends removing it.

Quickrch. How is the paint on your Astoria? My Astoria is going into it's 4th season. I repainted the firebox which really needed it! Looks much better now. The outside looks ok, but definitely faded some from the heat. I know a some new Stove Bright would "pimp my ride" !

It looks OK, when we got it there were some scratches and I was not happy with the paint as a cover so I have resisted doing anything else to it. Are you using something to clean the outside? I have not really had to clean the outside with anything other than a damp paper towel a few times a year. My only paint complaint is that the ash pan scratched the bottom so now I lift then pull.

After about 13 tons (6+7) I really cannot complain. I expect we'll do about 7 this winter and don't anticipate any issues.

It looks OK, when we got it there were some scratches and I was not happy with the paint as a cover so I have resisted doing anything else to it. Are you using something to clean the outside? I have not really had to clean the outside with anything other than a damp paper towel a few times a year. My only paint complaint is that the ash pan scratched the bottom so now I lift then pull.

After about 13 tons (6+7) I really cannot complain. I expect we'll do about 7 this winter and don't anticipate any issues.

Hello

My paint has faded. I painted the fire box this year and wow, what a difference!

I may do the outside next year. I tried using black stove polish on the outside but nothing is better than a nice paint job.

Thanks! I had no idea there was a recall, Last year I got a bad jam and the flapper got twisted up and fell right out. So I know thats not the problem. in the last 3 days the stove has jammed 15 times. The last time I was able to see that there is a plate that comes down and blocks half of the shute. The pellets seem to be bridging there and then back up and get even more jammed at the top. I am not sure if this plat is always in this position or not, didnt have a problem with it before. I do plan on removing the auger (since I never have). I have to my thorough cleaning here next week. I am waiting for my combustion motor gasket.

So do you guys think that this plate in my chute is part of the flapper assembly and should be removed? and if so why didnt it affect the pellets last year?

I am also very sensitive to changes in noises. Especially with my stove. This year I am hearing a great deal of vibration and changes in the humming of the motors. Anyone know how to eliminate these?

SO when I got home from work the stove has jammed again. So I looked and the flapper is gone As i said but the plate it was attached to was still there. I decided to go ahead and remove it. The screw at the top of the chute that holds it on was totally stripped. So i took a chisel and knocked it off. Havent had a jam since... about an hours worth of burning. My wife is worried about the flam going up the chute and into the hopper...

SO when I got home from work the stove has jammed again. So I looked and the flapper is gone As i said but the plate it was attached to was still there. I decided to go ahead and remove it. The screw at the top of the chute that holds it on was totally stripped. So i took a chisel and knocked it off. Havent had a jam since... about an hours worth of burning. My wife is worried about the flam going up the chute and into the hopper...

Hi d

Avalon has a TSB about putting a gasket on the hopper lid. The older stoves did ot have one in the hopper LID. The gasket seals the hopper so there would be no Air to fuel a hopper fire. Much better than a dumb flapper. You could add a flat gasket to the lip to make your wife feel better. I have the LID gasket and I am not sure how well it seals. I could add a rope gasket to the lip for a double seal. It may be something to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.