Auger Lube?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Do's fire.

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Hyde Park, NY
Hey, anyone know what type of gear lube that is used inside of an auger motor housing? ;? Such as a Merkle Korff one RPM traditional fits almost every older stove.:cool:

Merkle Korff claims to lubricate their gear motors with synthetic grease with working temperatures of -30C to 140C.

Although I have not yet lubricated my auger motor I have always had good results with Lubriplate products in other applications. When the time comes I was going to use give this formula a try https://wbcindustrial.com/lubriplate-synxtreme-hd-series as it meets the temperature requirements and is recommended for medium speed gearing and motor bearings. About half way down the product listing is a tube retailing for about $13 and change.

What I don't know is if the viscosity is right to allow some movement when warm (coat the gears) and not just move out of the way. Also would like to obtain some sound dampening from the grease if possible.

Is lubrication standard practice for the auger? My manual makes no mention of it, and neither did my harman, come to think of it. I did buy some powdered graphite for my autoclean which helped.

If you are going to repack the gear box, resist the urge to over pack it.
Grease is a suspension of oil in soap. It works because the the oil weeps out of the soap onto the moving parts. If you over pack the grease the viscous drag, on the higher speed gears at the motor end of the gear train, will slow down the motor.

Merkle Korff claims to lubricate their gear motors with synthetic grease with working temperatures of -30C to 140C.

Although I have not yet lubricated my auger motor I have always had good results with Lubriplate products in other applications. When the time comes I was going to use give this formula a try https://wbcindustrial.com/lubriplate-synxtreme-hd-series as it meets the temperature requirements and is recommended for medium speed gearing and motor bearings. About half way down the product listing is a tube retailing for about $13 and change.

What I don't know is if the viscosity is right to allow some movement when warm (coat the gears) and not just move out of the way. Also would like to obtain some sound dampening from the grease if possible.
I appreciate the intelligent response, the grease is not a standard automotive type ( I am in the car business) . I did open the unit and the grease is clear in color and appears to be synthetic based. Thanks for the link, I will check it out!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.