auger motor 25-pdvc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blanc12

Nov 20, 2007
Northern Maine
Last month I had an auger problem. It got hot and twisted in half. To fix this I replaced the auger, bearing and a week later the auger motor quit. This weekend the new auger motor died. This is 2 motors in about a month. I keep the auger area clean of carbon and the auger moved freely in the hole. I was able to move it up, down, back and forth with a screw driver. After removing the auger and cleaning the hole out I re-installed the auger and bearing. It turned freely by hand. I checked both non working motors and they both and about 12 ohms resistance so the coils in the motor are ok but they won't turn. I took the gears out of the unit and they still don't turn. The first of the month I ordered some spare parts including an extra motor. The new motor is in and the stove is working great now.

Can anyone think of why the these motors are going bad? I cant afford $138 a month for motors. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

On the bright side the fire stayed in the burn pot and did not travel up the auger. I guess the vacuum leak is fixed.

Thanks for the help

Pete

A week ago today we installed our new 25-pdvc pellet stove. Today when we hit the start button the fuse blew. With the help of past posts were we able to isolate the problem down to the bottom auger motor. The coil is bubbled and reads 4 ohms. The auger moves freely with the gear box removed. Now we are concerned we will have an on going problem. Tomorrow we will contact the man. but is there anything else we should be checking before installing the new motor? The coil is rated for .4 amps, 120 v. Also there is a spare fuse taped to the side of the control panel.

Thanks Pete32rocket for the reply and the link.

With the motor winding having about 12 ohms resistance the armature would have to be bad. By taking the gears out of the box and eliminating the load it pretty much confirms it. At least it is the best I can do without a growler.

Status
Not open for further replies.