Auger motor failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markn

Feb 9, 2011
Northern NH
I've owned a Napoleon Pellet Stove for 3 seasons and I've gone through three motors and about ready to go on my 4th one! I can see this one dying. It's making a hissing noise and just installed it a couple of days ago. This sound is what the previous ones made just before they failed. I can see where the hissing noise is coming from, and just dont' know what to do to fix it. The rotor of the motor slides back and hits the end cap of the barring housing. When this happenes, it rubs up against the cap and that is what makes the hissing noise. It's incredibly annoying, and very distracting when I'm trying to sleep! I don't know why this happenes, or how to fix it.
Any thoughts or suggestions???

Try removing the end cap on the motor that contains the bushing that the armature rests in and add a couple small flat washers on the armarute shaft.... just enough to prevent the armature from moving back and forth, but not too many to sieze the armature when you replace the end cap.

I had the same problem with the auger motor on an Englander stove and this solved the problem for me.

Well, I tried the washers, but it didn't work. It actually made the rubbing noise to be worse. Any other ideas or suggestions???

Status
Not open for further replies.