auger motor not running in Whitfield Quest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litemyfire

Nov 20, 2010
Oregon
Looking for any assistance with this Whitfield Quest. Initially the auger was working and pellets coming down but putting out the fire. After cleaning the stove, now the auger does not work-no pellets. The red light comes on but no sound from the motor. I tried to follow a similiar problem here on this site but still not able to get the motor going. I replaced the control panel last year and the blowers are working, just not the pellets. If it is the pressure switch, can't seem to reset. Since it was working prior to the clean out, I believe that it should be a simple solution-or so I thought. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I own a couple Whitfields but not a quest.

Check to be sure that you are getting voltage to the auger motor.

**** be careful when working inside the cabinet when the power cord is plugged in.****

Be sure that your cleaning did not dislodge any wires anywhere.

The pressure switch may be on the stack side or it may be on the firebox side and measure either a vacuum to close the switch when the door is closed, or it may open the switch if the exhaust gets plugged.

Be sure that the pressure system is working.

The older Whitfields used the pressure switch to cut the power IF the exhaust flow was plugged/restricted.

Make sure this whole system is working.

Now the High temp snap switches are in the circuit with the feed motor.

Make sure both of the high temp switches have continuity through them.

If either one of these switches is OPEN the auger will not run.

The low side switch works to prevent the auger from running when the stove is COLD. The start circuit bypasses the low switch until the stove exhaust reaches about 140F

Any time the stove start system is energized and the red light is on the auget should recieve power.

Does this stove have a door switch ?? If it does, this could be the issue. The door switches were used on some stoves to stop the auger and the draft inducer fan if the door was opened.

A bad door switch will cause the issue.

Check out this stuff and let us know what you find.

Snowy

It appears that the auger motor and the pressure switch are not getting power. Could this be the fuse? Thank you for your assistance.

I seem to have a similar problem to litemyfire -- I have a Whitfield WP4-Quest pellet stove and its has been running great for many years. Recently the auger stopped feeding pellets. After a good cleaning (including removing the auger and checking for jams) and testing the auger motor (putting a power test cable on the auger -- it worked perfectly feeding pellets), I still can't figure it out. From litemyfire responses, it appears it could be the pressure switch or the high temp sensor -- or perhaps the control panel. Any thoughts on where I should begin? I could just start buy these parts and see if any of this parts fix the problem. I appreciate any help! Thanks.
Bing

I seem to have a similar problem to litemyfire -- I have a Whitfield WP4-Quest pellet stove and its has been running great for many years. Recently the auger stopped feeding pellets. After a good cleaning (including removing the auger and checking for jams) and testing the auger motor (putting a power test cable on the auger -- it worked perfectly feeding pellets), I still can't figure it out. From litemyfire responses, it appears it could be the pressure switch or the high temp sensor -- or perhaps the control panel. Any thoughts on where I should begin? I could just start buy these parts and see if any of this parts fix the problem. I appreciate any help! Thanks.
Bing

Follow-up -- spoke with someone about temporarily bypassing the pressure switch. I did that. Pellets fed! So, now I ask, if I purchase a new pressure switch will that solve my problem? Also, my pressure switch is riveted to the side of my pellet stove. What do I do about that? Thanks!

Disconnect tube connected to switch and blow out any debris reconnect and try again, just a thought:cool:

Disconnect tube connected to switch and blow out any debris reconnect and try again, just a thought:cool:

Thanks, Defiant -- I can't seem to disconnect the hose from the exhaust motor side. I did disconnect the tube from the pressure switch, attached another tube, and blew air in and out of the pressure switch while monitoring continuity. My volt meter didn't register any continuity so I'm guessing it is bad. Although I'm still confused how to replace it since it is riveted to the chasis...

Status
Not open for further replies.